BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

I'm getting a timeout error when trying to start a session in VSCode.  The target environment is Viya 4 2022.11.  What does the network topology look like behind the scenes so I can make sure the security/firewall configuration is not blocking me??  I am getting the web page popup which gives me the authorization approval screen, which does give me the authorization code.  It fails after entering the code into VSCode with the timeout error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HarrySnart
SAS Employee

Hi @Steve0verton did you have the extension working previously? When the extension was first released you had to add client id and secret to the config file to make a connection. I found that when the new version of the extension was released the connection failed because I had the client id and secret still in the config file. When I removed them and used the browser pop-up to login the issue was resolved. 

The profile in your settings.json file should look a bit like the below:

"SAS.connectionProfiles": {

"activeProfile": "<profile name>",
        "profiles": {
            "<profile>": {
                "endpoint": "<viya host>",

"context": "SAS Job Execution compute context",
                "username": "<user>"
            }
        }
    }

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HarrySnart
SAS Employee

Hi @Steve0verton did you have the extension working previously? When the extension was first released you had to add client id and secret to the config file to make a connection. I found that when the new version of the extension was released the connection failed because I had the client id and secret still in the config file. When I removed them and used the browser pop-up to login the issue was resolved. 

The profile in your settings.json file should look a bit like the below:

"SAS.connectionProfiles": {

"activeProfile": "<profile name>",
        "profiles": {
            "<profile>": {
                "endpoint": "<viya host>",

"context": "SAS Job Execution compute context",
                "username": "<user>"
            }
        }
    }
Steve0verton
SAS Employee

Yes this worked!  And I was coming from a previous version of Viya.

Also note, for those like me who keep k8s pods in an autoscaling mode to allow services to go to 0 and power down off hours.  You will have to wait approximately 5min before being able to connect to compute sessions within VSCode.  The first session of the day will fire up a compute pod.  I'm not sure how long the pod persists.  But if you have the symptom of a 60 second timeout, this could be it.  Monitor within Lens or kubectl to see when the compute service is fully running.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation