BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
altatunc
Obsidian | Level 7

I am using a table value function in sas code to pull back a database table as of a certain date.  The database uses a timestamp format of YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS and SAS is not wanting to use that or any equivalent when actually running the query.  A sample is below.

proc sql;
  create table TableAsOf_Jan162020 as
     select * from Libname.TableNameAsOf('2020-01-16 08:00:00');
quit;

I keep getting this error or something similar depending on the attempts at changing the format in the ( ).

ERROR: Invalid option name '2020-01-16 08:00:00'. 

All help appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
altatunc
Obsidian | Level 7

So, I contacted SAS Support and they provided a solution...

I looked through our database and found some old tracks where sites had to query Table Value Functions passed to the database and it looks like the only way this can work is to use PROC SQL explicit pass-through syntax.  I've included a link below to the section of documentation that discusses this method of connecting to databases via the SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC engine.  I also attempted to modify the basic syntax in this documentation with your specifics.  I think the query below should work with one modification.  You'll have to find the schema associated with the table in the database and replace schema with the actual schema name.  Explicit pass-through passes native database syntax over to the database for processing.  Since you have to reference tables with schema.tablename syntax in the database, this also needs to be used in when passing the query over from SAS:

SAS/ACCESS to ODBC explicit pass-through documentation:  https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=acreldb&docsetTarget=p1f29m86u65hken1deqcybowtgma.htm&doc...

proc sql;
    connect to odbc (NOPROMPT=&DB READBUFF=100);
              select * from connection to odbc
                  ( select * from Schema/Libname.TableNameAsOf('2020-01-16 08:00:00') );
quit;

Hope that helps anyone else in the same problem. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Is that value part of the table name in an external database? As the name is

TableNameAsOf('2020-01-16 08:00:00')

with ( and ' : and space characters when you view the name in the external DB???

You might try referencing the name as

"TableNameAsOf('2020-01-16 08:00:00')"n

if it uses non-standard characters for SAS names. This may require the system setting of VALIDMEMNAME=Extend as well.

altatunc
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the question.

I do not think so.  It is a table value function which returns another table as of that date value passed.  That other table is veiwable from the database (it is actually a table view though - i believe).

altatunc
Obsidian | Level 7

From our IT...in our case, Table Valued Functions take parameters and return data, much like a table or view: in this case there is a single parameter (called @AsOf) and it is a GMT timestamp. The function then returns exactly what the table looked like at the time provided.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Assuming that SAS interprets your database timestamps as SAS datetimes (i.e. numbers), SAS/SQL will understand a query such as

proc sql;
select * 
from Libname.TableName
where timestamp <= '16JAN2020:08:00:00'dt;
quit;

If it sees them as strings you can get away with

proc sql;
select * 
from Libname.TableName
where timestamp <= '2020-01-16 08:00:00';
quit;

PG
altatunc
Obsidian | Level 7

So, I contacted SAS Support and they provided a solution...

I looked through our database and found some old tracks where sites had to query Table Value Functions passed to the database and it looks like the only way this can work is to use PROC SQL explicit pass-through syntax.  I've included a link below to the section of documentation that discusses this method of connecting to databases via the SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC engine.  I also attempted to modify the basic syntax in this documentation with your specifics.  I think the query below should work with one modification.  You'll have to find the schema associated with the table in the database and replace schema with the actual schema name.  Explicit pass-through passes native database syntax over to the database for processing.  Since you have to reference tables with schema.tablename syntax in the database, this also needs to be used in when passing the query over from SAS:

SAS/ACCESS to ODBC explicit pass-through documentation:  https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=acreldb&docsetTarget=p1f29m86u65hken1deqcybowtgma.htm&doc...

proc sql;
    connect to odbc (NOPROMPT=&DB READBUFF=100);
              select * from connection to odbc
                  ( select * from Schema/Libname.TableNameAsOf('2020-01-16 08:00:00') );
quit;

Hope that helps anyone else in the same problem. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation