BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CathyVI
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I think it's possible but am not sure how to do it. I have a CCW data with multiple ICD variables. The ICD variables are in this format ICD_DGNS_CD1, ICD_DGNS_CD2, and so on. 

I am writing a sql code to pull all OUD within the data using the ICD codes. In the where statement, I don't want to write the entire variables out (e.g., icd_dgns_cd1) in my code so am think there should be a macro code to call the ICD variables. I tried something like ; where  (substr(icd_&,1,5) in (&icd.) but it didn't work. 

%let icd= '30400', '30401', '30402', '30403', '30470', '30471', '30472', '30473',...... ; 
proc sql; create table oud as select id, clm_id, dob_dt, icd_dgns_cd1, icd_dgns_cd2, icd_dgns_cd3, icd_dgns_cd4, icd_dgns_cd5, icd_dgns_cd6, icd_dgns_cd7, icd_dgns_cd8 from bcarclms2021  where  (substr(icd_dgns_cd1,1,5) in (&icd.) or substr(icd_dgns_cd2,1,5) in (&icd.) or  
substr(icd_dgns_cd3,1,5) in (&icd.) or substr(icd_dgns_cd4,1,5) in (&icd.) or       substr(icd_dgns_cd5,1,5) in (&icd.) or substr(icd_dgns_cd6,1,5) in (&icd.) or       substr(icd_dgns_cd7,1,5) in (&icd.) or substr(icd_dgns_cd8,1,5) in (&icd.) ; quit;
3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I don't see any attempt to use macro code posted.  Just normal SQL code.  Is that the SQL code you want to use macro code to create?

So perhaps something like this?

%macro query(indata,outdata,nvar,icdlist);
%local i var;
proc sql;
create table &outdata as
select id, clm_id, dob_dt
%do i=1 %to &nvar;
  %let var=icd_dgns_cd&i ;
  , &var
%end;
from &indata 
where 1=0
%do i=1 %to &nvar;
  %let var=icd_dgns_cd&i;
  or substr(&var,1,5) in (&icdlist)
%end;
;
quit;
%mend query;

%query
(indata=bcarclms2021
,outdata=oud
,nvars=8
,icdlist='30400' '30401' '30402' '30403' '30470' '30471' '30472' '30473'
);

NOTE that in SAS the IN operator does not care if you use spaces instead of commas between the items in the list.  Using spaces makes it much easier to deal with the list in macro code since commas might be confused as being part of the function call.

But why would you use SQL for this type of problem?  Why not just use normal SAS code?

%let icdlist='30400' '30401' '30402' '30403' '30470' '30471' '30472' '30473';
data oud;
  set bcarclms2021;
  found=0;
  array icd_dgns_cd[8];
  do i=1 to dim(icd_dgns_cd) while(not found);
    found = substr(icd_dgns_cd[i],1,5) in (&icdlist);
  end;
  if found;
  drop found i;
run;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@CathyVI what do you mean "it didn't work"? Saying "it didn't work" and providing no other information never is sufficient.

Did it generate an error? If so, show us the log for this PROC SQL. Are the results not what you expect? If so, explain a lot more so we can understand, and provide sample data.

--
Paige Miller
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@CathyVI From the looks of it the solution from this discussion could also be applicable to your case.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation