BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
daveconifer1
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm trying to create a user-define function that will work on character strings, so first I decided to learn the "plumbing" before developing the function.

I've created two user defined functions: DAVECASE(simply returns the length of a character string) and DAVESUM(returns the sum of the two integers passed in).

proc fcmp outlib=macros.userddefinedfunctions.davecase;  ** path/name for user-defined function **;

function davecase(instring);

propstr = LENGTH(instring);

return(propstr);

endsub;

function davesum(part1,part2);

newsum = part1 + part2;

return(newsum);

endsub;

Here is the code from which these two user-define functions are called:

data x;

stringx = 'this is the untouched string';

daveway = DAVECASE(stringx);   ** gets tripped up, seems to expect integer **;

oldway = PROPCASE(stringx);     ** works fine **;

total = DAVESUM(2,3);       ** works fine;

run;

DAVESUM works perfectly, returning 5.

DAVECASE seems to get tripped up because somewhere along the line an integer is expected instead of a character string.

27         data x;
29              stringx = 'this is the untouched string';
31         	 daveway = DAVECASE(stringx);   ** gets tripped up, seems to expect integer **;
33         	 oldway = PROPCASE(stringx);     ** works fine **;
35         	 total = DAVESUM(2,3);       ** works fine;
37         	 run;

NOTE: Character values have been converted to numeric values at the places given by: (Line):(Column).
      31:22   
NOTE: Invalid numeric data, stringx='this is the untouched string' , at line 31 column 22.
stringx=this is the untouched string daveway=1 oldway=This Is The Untouched String total=5 _ERROR_=1 _N_=1
NOTE: The data set WORK.X has 1 observations and 4 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

Is there something I need to do to indicate that the value being passed to DAVECASE is character?

Thanks,

...dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @daveconifer1 

You need to specify that the argument is a character one by adding a '$' as follows in the function definition:

function davecase(instring $);

NB: for the second function, contrary to the SUM() function, the "+" operator does not handle missing values

Best,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @daveconifer1 

You need to specify that the argument is a character one by adding a '$' as follows in the function definition:

NB: for the second function, contrary to the SUM() function, the "+" operator does not handle missing values

Best,

daveconifer1
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, Ed!  I was all over the documentation, or so I thought, but I didn't see that.

I got past that, and now my function has a new issue, so that's progress.  This isn't as straightforward as i thought.  I simplified DAVECASE to just return a copy of the argument:

length propstr $ 80 ;

propstr = instring;

return(propstr);

endsub;

But I still get this:

149        data x;
151             stringx = 'this is the untouched string';
153        	 daveway = DAVECASE(stringx);   ** gets tripped up, seems to expect integer **;
The SAS System

155        	 oldway = PROPCASE(stringx);     ** works fine **;
157        	 total = DAVESUM(2,3);       ** works fine;
159        	 run;

ERROR: Unable to convert a character value to a numeric value in function 'davecase' in statement number 3 at line 7 column 8.
       The statement was:
    0     (7:8)      _davecase_ = Move N<=C(propstr="this is the untouched string                                                    
")
ERROR: Exception occurred during subroutine call.
stringx=this is the untouched string daveway= oldway=This Is The Untouched String total=5 _ERROR_=1 _N_=1
NOTE: The data set WORK.X has 1 observations and 4 variables.

I'll look for more documentation and examples.

Thanks again,

...dave

ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @daveconifer1 

You can try to remove the LENGTH statement and adapt the FUNCTION definition as follows:

function davecase(instring $) $ 80;

-> in the parenthesis, you specify the input variable type ($)

-> after the parenthesis, you specify the output type and set the proper length (default = 8).

Best,

daveconifer1
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks so much again, Ed!  That worked perfectly, and makes perfect sense to me as well.  I didn't like that LENGTH statement for the return argument, I was just trying stuff.

I appreciate your help.  Now I can work on the function, since the plumbing is working.

...dave

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation