BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am merging two tables together by date ranges, so I have to use SQL to join them.  However, I want to use the IN= data set option to create additional flags in the data.  Is there an SQL equivalent to this method?

Below are two snippets of code.  The first one is what I am doing where I merge the 2 datasets by a date range.  But the second one is the concept I would like to incorporate into the SQL query.  I lose that in=a/in=b information once I leave SQL.

proc sql;
	create table overlap as
	select a.*, b.aestdt, b.aeendt
	from cfuhosp as a left join ae as b
		on a.subject=b.subject
	where b.aestdt<=a.uhstdt<=b.aeendt
	order by subject;
quit;

data overlap;
	merge cfuhosp (in=a) ae (in=b);
	by ...; /* can't be done in data step */
	if a;
	if b=1 then discrep="Discrepancy Note #1";
	if b=0 then discrep="Discrepancy Note #2";
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

No.  But you could test if one of the variables from the other table has a missing value.  Make sure to pick a variable where a missing value is not an expected value. Perhaps one of the key variables.

proc sql;
create table overlap as
  select a.*
       , b.aestdt, b.aeendt
       , case when (missing(b.subject)) then "Discrepancy Note #2"
              else "Discrepancy Note #1"
         end as discrep
    on a.subject=b.subject
    and b.aestdt<=a.uhstdt<=b.aeendt
  order by subject
;
quit;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When you do a LEFT join and the join does not find a match, then the variables from the "right" dataset will be missing. You can check for that.

djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I don't think I have an issue with the join.  I just want to flag which part of the attached Venn diagram the observations fall in.  My SQL join is keeping data that fall in Area1 and Area3.  I want to create a flag that if the data is in Area1, then output one message; if the data is in Area3, then output a different message.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

See this:

proc sql;
create table overlap as
  select
    a.*,
    b.aestdt,
    b.aeendt,
    case
      when b.subject is missing
      then "Discrepancy Note #2"
    end as discrep
  on a.subject=b.subject
  where b.aestdt<=a.uhstdt<=b.aeendt
  order by subject
;
quit;

This is a re-engineering of your data step code in SQL.

djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Kurt,

I believe your method will work, but I just realized a flaw in my logic.  All subjects in my CFUHOSP table are also in AE, so when using the case statement, it didn't give me 2 different notes.  To test, I went back to my AE dataset and deleted a subject.  Now that subject doesn't appear at all.  But this is because of my WHERE statement.  Since there are no AE start/end dates, the where condition is not satisfied for that subject to be retained.  I'll have to rethink how to handle these cases (because these are the ones that I want to retain).  But thank you for your help.  I think this will be a good place to start.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

No.  But you could test if one of the variables from the other table has a missing value.  Make sure to pick a variable where a missing value is not an expected value. Perhaps one of the key variables.

proc sql;
create table overlap as
  select a.*
       , b.aestdt, b.aeendt
       , case when (missing(b.subject)) then "Discrepancy Note #2"
         end as discrep
    on a.subject=b.subject
    and b.aestdt<=a.uhstdt<=b.aeendt
  order by subject
;
quit;
djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Tom, this is amazing! Thank you so much! I really wish I was better with SQL, but I haven't reached that point yet. This worked perfectly.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation