BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sir_Lancelot
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All

I have a requirement to look at three numeric fields. if field one is not populated and field two and three are, then field two and three must be their values minus one. in summary, if the values on the left are not populated, the the values on the right must be reduced by either one or two.

Source Data 

v1 v2 v3
1 2 3
  2 3
1   3

Expected Reslts

v1 v2 v3
1 2 3
  1 2
1   2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

With other variables, I meant variables which are not the vX variables, ones which indicate which position the items present should be in, as if you sorted the test data you presented then row 4 could appear after row 1, there is no indication in the data that that row should appear in position 4.  This is key as not be able to move data will limit your options in how to process it.  I mean you could do:

data have;
infile datalines dsd;
input v1 v2 v3;
datalines;
;
run;

data want;
set have;
retain lstv2 lstv3;
if _n_=1 then do;
lstv2=v2;
lstv3=v3;
end;
else do;
if v1=. then do;
v2=lstv2-1;
v3=lstv3-1;
lstv2=v2;
lstv3=v3;
end;
else if v1 ne . then do;
lstv2=v2;
lstv3=v3;
end;
end;
run;

I would also guess this is a bigger issue in that you are getting this type of structure in the first place.  Go back and look at previous steps and see if, by changing the output, you can simplify this whole matter earlier on in the process.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Please clarify your test data, provide full test data in the form of a datastep:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat...

Its a bit of a guess at the moment, for instance, why are they in that order, are the other variables?  Why is row 4 var3=2, it should be 3 following the logic?

Sir_Lancelot
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes row 4 var3 must be 3. My mistake. there are wil be more variables in the future. So if I get get this as dynamic it will be great
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

With other variables, I meant variables which are not the vX variables, ones which indicate which position the items present should be in, as if you sorted the test data you presented then row 4 could appear after row 1, there is no indication in the data that that row should appear in position 4.  This is key as not be able to move data will limit your options in how to process it.  I mean you could do:

data have;
infile datalines dsd;
input v1 v2 v3;
datalines;
;
run;

data want;
set have;
retain lstv2 lstv3;
if _n_=1 then do;
lstv2=v2;
lstv3=v3;
end;
else do;
if v1=. then do;
v2=lstv2-1;
v3=lstv3-1;
lstv2=v2;
lstv3=v3;
end;
else if v1 ne . then do;
lstv2=v2;
lstv3=v3;
end;
end;
run;

I would also guess this is a bigger issue in that you are getting this type of structure in the first place.  Go back and look at previous steps and see if, by changing the output, you can simplify this whole matter earlier on in the process.

Ksharp
Super User
data have;
 infile datalines dsd;
 input v1 v2 v3;
datalines;
;
run;
data want;
 set have;
 array x{*} v1-v3;
 n=nmiss(of x{*});
 if n ne 0 then do;
 do k=1 to dim(x);
  if missing(x{k}) then i=k;
 end;
 do j=i to dim(x);
  x{j}=x{j}-n;
 end;
 end;
 drop n i j k;
 run;

proc print;run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation