BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BlayLay
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Everyone,

Running into an issue and I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I have 8 numeric variables, that I sum together, and then subtract a 9th numeric variable from the summation. When I simply sum the first 8 I get a valid output, however, when I try subtracting the 9th I get a period (.) There are some instances of missing values in all 9 columns, that's why I thought sum() was the best approach.

Example code below:

DATA WORK.WANT;
SET WORK.HAVE;
TotalCount1 = sum(of Total1 -- Total8);
TotalCount = sum(TotalCount1 -Total9);
DROP TotalCount1;
RUN;

I'd prefer, this step below, but neither have worked

DATA WORK.WANT;
SET WORK.HAVE;
TotalCount = sum(sum(Total1 -- Total8) - Total9);
RUN;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @BlayLay,

It is good practice to use IF conditions to deal with missing values appropriately and to avoid notes like "Missing values were generated ..." in the log.

Example:

data want;
set have;
if n(of Total1-Total8)=0 then TotalCount=.;
else TotalCount=sum(of Total1-Total8);
if n(Total9) then TotalCount=sum(TotalCount, -Total9);
run;

This will result in a missing value of TotalCount only if all nine totals are missing. In all other cases missing values are treated as zeros in the calculation. If your rules are different, it will be no problem to adapt the code correspondingly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ballardw
Super User

Try

TotalCount = sum(of Total1 -- Total8) - Total9;

BlayLay
Obsidian | Level 7
No luck...still missing values as output
ballardw
Super User

@BlayLay wrote:
No luck...still missing values as output

I did not say you would get a result, but you don't have logic or syntax errors.

Provide example values of all 9 variables where the result is missing and what you expect for a result.

Best would be as a data step.

Have you been trying to use -Total9 as part of the Sum function because Total9 is sometimes missing and want the sum of the rest in that case?

Or are you just trying to remove the note from the log?

Any subtraction operation will result in a missing result if the value of any of the operands is missing.

If you expect 10 - .  to have a value of 10 then your "missing" is incorrect and requires a value of 0 for numeric operations.

If you don't want the note, as @Tom said, you need to check the value before the subtraction:

if not missing(total9) then TotalCount = sum(of Total1 -- Total8) - Total9;

but, unless you tell what you expect as a non-missing result there is no way to provide one.

A special missing could be provide if Total9 is missing to indicate that was why.

if not missing(total9) then TotalCount = sum(of Total1 -- Total8) - Total9;
else TotalCount = .N;

The .N is still missing and is used in numeric calculation just like missing but you can display the value, best with a custom format, that lets you know specifically why it was missing.

What do you expect for a value when Total1 through Total 8 are missing but Total9 is not?

BlayLay
Obsidian | Level 7

@ballardw  to your point, "Any subtraction operation will result in a missing result if the value of any of the operands is missing" was my concern and why I didn't go with a basic subtraction function. Due to the fact some columns may have missing values. Below is a small-scale example, and i've added "TotalCount" as the desired output. Same concept applies, summing (Total1 -- Total2) and then subtracting Total3 to get TotalCount.

Total1 Total2 Total3 TotalCount
1 0 1 0
1 1 . 2
0 0 1 -1

@mklangley  code seems to work, however, I just wanted to make sure that I'm going about this correctly.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

By using - instead of comma in the SUM() function call you are summing only one value, the result of the normal subtraction.  So you are defeating the purpose of using the SUM() function.  

TotalCount = sum(of total1-total8, -total9);

If you want to avoid the NOTE in the log about missing values you will still have to check if TOTAL9 is missing.

mklangley
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Try this:

data have;
    input Total1-Total9;
    datalines;
. 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 . 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 . 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 . 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 . 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 . 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 . 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 . 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 .
    ;
run;

data want;
    set have;
    TotalCount = sum(sum(of Total1 -- Total8), -Total9);
run;
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @BlayLay,

It is good practice to use IF conditions to deal with missing values appropriately and to avoid notes like "Missing values were generated ..." in the log.

Example:

data want;
set have;
if n(of Total1-Total8)=0 then TotalCount=.;
else TotalCount=sum(of Total1-Total8);
if n(Total9) then TotalCount=sum(TotalCount, -Total9);
run;

This will result in a missing value of TotalCount only if all nine totals are missing. In all other cases missing values are treated as zeros in the calculation. If your rules are different, it will be no problem to adapt the code correspondingly.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can use an extra SUM() function call (or a COALESCE() function call) to handle the missing values without notes in the log.

total=sum(of x1-x3,-sum(0,x4));

But that will return zero when all values are missing.  If you want missing in that  case then test whether there is at least one non-missing value. You could use the N() function.

Here is a simple example with 4 input variables.

data test;
  do x1=.,1; do x2=.,2; do x3=.,4; do x4=.,1;
    output;
  end;end;end;end;
run;

data want;
  set test;
  if n(of x1-x4) then total=sum(of x1-x3,-sum(0,x4));
run;

Results:

Obs    x1    x2    x3    x4    total

1     .     .     .     .       .
  2     .     .     .     1      -1
  3     .     .     4     .       4
  4     .     .     4     1       3
  5     .     2     .     .       2
  6     .     2     .     1       1
  7     .     2     4     .       6
  8     .     2     4     1       5
  9     1     .     .     .       1
 10     1     .     .     1       0
 11     1     .     4     .       5
 12     1     .     4     1       4
 13     1     2     .     .       3
 14     1     2     .     1       2
 15     1     2     4     .       7
 16     1     2     4     1       6

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation