BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yli33
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I have encountered a rather odd issue regarding attempting to view the SAS datasets in SAS 9.4 after creating a SAS library. Specifically, I do not see any of the SAS datasets within my first folder when I created a new library in SAS. In other words, I am only able to view the datasets located in the second folder upon assigning it to the same SAS library. Please find below an example of the SAS code that I have used to create the SAS library:

LIBNAME XXXXXX 'FIRST FOLDER PATHNAME';
options validvarname=any;
LIBNAME XXXXXX 'SECOND FOLDER PATHNAME';
options validvarname=any;

Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide a potential solution to this issue. Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

What does the log say when you run your first libname, Is it assigned successfully? 

Thanks,
Suryakiran
yli33
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Suryakiran,

So, I have just tried to run each SAS code separately instead of both codes simultaneously. When I ran the first set of SAS codes, I am able to see all of the SAS datasets from my first folder within the SAS library. However, when I ran the second set of SAS codes, the datasets from the second folder overrode those from the first folder. Perhaps I should create two different libraries? 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The second libname re-assigns the library definition; it does not append the second to the first. For that you need concatenated libraries.

Or you use two separate libraries.

yli33
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Thank you so much for clarifying the root cause of my SAS issue. I have already concatenated the two folders into a single library and was able to view all datasets located in both folders. Thanks again!

yli33
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

Thank you for suggesting the "sas concatenated library" as an alternative solution to the SAS issue. I will definitely google the specific details involved in this procedure.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation