BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

Hi-the imagined dataset is below -the goal is tie a specific event  to the first date in which something happened-

In this example, the censor events happen in chronological order-either the event happened, death, or EOF (end of follow up).

It takes the first date that a censor event occurred or uses 30 days after the discharge date if no event occurred.

I have proc sql code  below that   uses  when statements. This is fine for 2 events (event1 and death)  but this would be cumbersome if there 10-20 events. Not sure if there is a more efficient way in that if time 5 is used it corresponds to event 5 and if all  event (and death) dates  are  null then  simply takes the 30 days after the discharge  and gives it the proper category of 'eof' or something to that effect. 

It can be either datastep or sql-either one.

TIA. 

data have;
     informat   ID  8.	 Discharge MMDDYY10. EVENT 8.  EVENT_DT MMDDYY10. DEATH 8. DEATH_DT MMDDYY10.;
	input   ID  	 Discharge  EVENT  EVENT_DT DEATH  DEATH_DT ;
	format Discharge DDMMYY10.  EVENT_DT DDMMYY10. Death_dt DDMMYY10. ;
datalines;
1 01/01/2020 1 01/15/2020 0 01/20/2020
2 01/01/2020 0 .          1 01/17/2020
3 01/01/2020 0 .          0 . 

;
run;

proc sql; 

select a.*,
min(EVENT_DT,DEATH_DT, intnx('DAY', Discharge,30)) format=date9. as censor_DATE,
case when EVENT=1 then 'EVENT'
when EVENT=0 AND DEATH=1 THEN 'DEATH'
when EVENT=0 AND DEATH=0 THEN 'EOF ' END as censor_event    
from have A;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Wouldn't it make more sense to start with the data in more natural configuration?

Something like:

data visits;
  input id visit $ date :mmddyy. ;
  format date yymmdd10.;
cards;
1 DISCHARGE 01/01/2020 
1 EVENT     01/15/2020
1 FOLLOW_UP 01/20/2020
2 DISCHARGE 01/01/2020 
2 DEATH     01/17/2020
3 DISCHARGE 01/01/2020
;

Then you could just process it by ID and DATE to figure out whatever it was you wanted to calculate.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Can you please make up an example that has 10 events and explain in words exactly what the desired result is?

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Wouldn't it make more sense to start with the data in more natural configuration?

Something like:

data visits;
  input id visit $ date :mmddyy. ;
  format date yymmdd10.;
cards;
1 DISCHARGE 01/01/2020 
1 EVENT     01/15/2020
1 FOLLOW_UP 01/20/2020
2 DISCHARGE 01/01/2020 
2 DEATH     01/17/2020
3 DISCHARGE 01/01/2020
;

Then you could just process it by ID and DATE to figure out whatever it was you wanted to calculate.

LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

@Tom  -I agree with you but unfortunately the real data is similar to the format I presented with additional other vars. I was actually  programming to  use a proc contents to get all the date variables and then do a proc transpose to reshape the data in the format you propose when I saw your comments.  

I was seeing if there was a more efficient  method to not reshape the data.  I think not. 

Best, 

Lawrence 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The way to handle multiple variables in a similar way is with ARRAY in a data step.

So you have one array of the FLAG variables that indicate whether or not the event occurred. Another array of the date variables.  

I am not sure I understand your logic but if you wanted to calculate some type of right censored survival variable for many different possible events then it should be possible.  

Is the goal to calculate the FIRST event type that occurred and if none occurred then use the max follow up date plus 30?

data want;
  set have;
  array flags event death ;
  array dates event_dt death_dt ;
  length event_type $32 date_to_use 8;
  format date_to_use yymmdd10.;
  date_to_use=max(of dates[*]);
  do index=1 to dim(flags);
     if flags[index] and dates[index]<date_to_use then do;
        event_type=vname(flags[index]);
        date_to_use=dates[index];
     end;
  end;
  censored= (event_type=' ');
  if censored then data_to_use=date_to_use +30;
run;
LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks- This a bit closer to what I was thinking. But yes the goal is to calculate the first event and then if -nothing else actually use just use the discharge date plus 30 days. Can def play with this code a bit to get what I need.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation