BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Priyamvada07
Obsidian | Level 7

I have the following data

proc format;
picture count (round)
0-4 = ' <5' (NOEDIT);
picture pcnt (round)
0 = ' - '
other = '009.9%';

DATA HAVE;
input year dz $8. area;
cards;
2000 stroke 08
2000 stroke 06
2000 stroke 06
2001 stroke 08
2001 stroke 06
2001 stroke 06
2002 stroke 08
2002 stroke 06
2002 stroke 06
;
run;

I want a 2-D table and want to present 'Frequency' and 'Row Pct' and retain the 'Total' row; I also want to mask values below 5 in 'Frequency' using format 'count.' and 'pcnt.'

I have tried using PROC TABULATE which would be an easier option for me

proc tabulate data=have;
class area year;
classlev year / s=[just=left];
keylabel pctn='%';
tables year=' ' ((area=' ')*(n='Frequency'*f=count. rowpctn='Percent'*f=pcnt.)
(all='Total')*(n='Frequency'*f=count. rowpctn='Percent'*f=pcnt.))
/box=year;
run;

However this code is giving me the following error

ERROR: Too few dimensions specified in the following nesting : area * RowPctN * f.
ERROR: Too few dimensions specified in the following nesting : All * RowPctN * f.

I am new to proc tabulate and cannot understand what this error is about. 

When using proc freq I get the below output.

proc freq data=HAVE;
tables year*area;
run;

Priyamvada07_0-1617304213983.png

When I use the below code to remove cumulative row I get the table in another way which is not desired.

proc freq data=HAVE;
tables area / list nocum out=a;
run;

In a one way table I was able to create a output using 'out=a' and then use the formats 'count.' and 'pcnt.' in the PROC PRINT step. The code that I used for one way table is as below

proc freq data=HAVE_rev;
run;

proc print data=a;
format count count. percent pcnt. ;
run;

However, this is not giving me the desired result for two way table!

Any guidance on this preferably using PROC TABULATE (PROC FREQ will also do)?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

When I use the below code to remove cumulative row I get the table in another way which is not desired.

proc freq data=HAVE;
run;

NOCUM removes the cumulative, but LIST changes the layout of the table. If you don't want the layout changed, remove the LIST option. But your previous code as a nxn table and this is a one way table so it's not even the same problem. A nxn table does not have a cumulative column, it has the row/col percent which can also be controlled with options in PROC FREQ.

Please show EXACTLY what you want as output. You have a couple of requirements but it's not clear, so far:

1. N and PCTN for one way tables, not sure about nxn tables. 
  2. Masking for N>5 -> what about the percent values
  3. Which columns combined? FREQ puts them on the same cell, TABULATE does not. 
  4. I suspect your code from the previous post is missing a comma.

FYI - I'm assuming you've reviewed the documentation and are slowly building your procs step by step. So first start with a base table and then add in the features such as (ALL, PCTN and formats) as you go so you can test each option as you add it. If I tried to write a PROC TABULATE with that structure from scratch I'd get it wrong for sure and would also follow this process even though I've been programming for 15 years. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

proc freq data=HAVE;
run;

NOCUM removes the cumulative, but LIST changes the layout of the table. If you don't want the layout changed, remove the LIST option. But your previous code as a nxn table and this is a one way table so it's not even the same problem. A nxn table does not have a cumulative column, it has the row/col percent which can also be controlled with options in PROC FREQ.

Please show EXACTLY what you want as output. You have a couple of requirements but it's not clear, so far:

1. N and PCTN for one way tables, not sure about nxn tables. 
  2. Masking for N>5 -> what about the percent values
  3. Which columns combined? FREQ puts them on the same cell, TABULATE does not. 
  4. I suspect your code from the previous post is missing a comma.

FYI - I'm assuming you've reviewed the documentation and are slowly building your procs step by step. So first start with a base table and then add in the features such as (ALL, PCTN and formats) as you go so you can test each option as you add it. If I tried to write a PROC TABULATE with that structure from scratch I'd get it wrong for sure and would also follow this process even though I've been programming for 15 years. 

Priyamvada07
Obsidian | Level 7

Looks like in the PROC TABULATE code 'it was all about the comma'!!!! Thank you very much for pointing that out and all other info, very very helpful. I got my desired table 🙂

Priyamvada07_0-1617305097736.png

Reeza
Super User
FYI - if you display percents and your total is >5 and displayed you can work backwards to figure out the N's so that suppression may not be adequate.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation