BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
monstera
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to see if any one of several columns might contain an alphanumeric code of interest from a fairly long list. (Let's say my variables are called cause1-cause20 and death1.) The alphanumeric codes start with one letter and end with two or three numbers (e.g., X81, Y350, W19).  For the subsets I'm trying to create, I might be dealing with 50 or more different alphanumeric codes of interest.  Depending on the question being asked, the list may change, so I have to establish conditions for each subset.  

For simpler situations using one variable (death1) for example, if I'm looking to see if my columns have a code in the range of W00 to W19, I approach it this way and there are no issues:

proc sql;
	create table injury.deaths as
	select	&listx
	from	injury.deathfile
	where	death1 like 'W0%' or
		    death1 like 'W1%';
quit;

What would be an efficient approach when I have to search through several columns for instances of codes from a very long list of alphanumeric codes? Should I create macros for the list of codes? Is there a way to use wildcards or underscores in a macro?  Would I use an array and do loop and macros all at once? (I seem to get tripped up when combining things.)  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  When I have experimented with arrays in data steps, I end up with all or none of the observations, which I know is incorrect.  Thank you.

I'm using SAS x9.4.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Use two arrays one for the list of values you want to check and one for list of variables to check. Use WHILE to shortcut the loop once you find a condition. 

Untested:

data want;
set have;

array dx_want (3) _Temporary_ $8. ('Z123', 'Z185', 'Z245');
array dx_have(25) dx_prim dx2-dx25;
flag=0;

do i=1 to dim(dx_have) while(flag=0);
do j=1 to dim(dx_want) while(flag=0) ;
      if find( dx_have(i), dx_want(j))>0 then flag=1;
end;
end;

run;

@monstera wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to see if any one of several columns might contain an alphanumeric code of interest from a fairly long list. (Let's say my variables are called cause1-cause20 and death1.) The alphanumeric codes start with one letter and end with two or three numbers (e.g., X81, Y350, W19).  For the subsets I'm trying to create, I might be dealing with 50 or more different alphanumeric codes of interest.  Depending on the question being asked, the list may change, so I have to establish conditions for each subset.  

For simpler situations using one variable (death1) for example, if I'm looking to see if my columns have a code in the range of W00 to W19, I approach it this way and there are no issues:

proc sql;
	select	&listx
	from	injury.deathfile
		    death1 like 'W1%';
quit;

What would be an efficient approach when I have to search through several columns for instances of codes from a very long list of alphanumeric codes? Should I create macros for the list of codes? Is there a way to use wildcards or underscores in a macro?  Would I use an array and do loop and macros all at once? (I seem to get tripped up when combining things.)  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  When I have experimented with arrays in data steps, I end up with all or none of the observations, which I know is incorrect.  Thank you.

I'm using SAS x9.4.

Or you can also join with a column with like. 

proc sql;
	select	&listx
	from	injury.deathfile
left join lookupTable as lt where death1 like 'W0%' or death1 like lt.variableCompare; quit;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

Use two arrays one for the list of values you want to check and one for list of variables to check. Use WHILE to shortcut the loop once you find a condition. 

Untested:

data want;
set have;

array dx_want (3) _Temporary_ $8. ('Z123', 'Z185', 'Z245');
array dx_have(25) dx_prim dx2-dx25;
flag=0;

do i=1 to dim(dx_have) while(flag=0);
do j=1 to dim(dx_want) while(flag=0) ;
      if find( dx_have(i), dx_want(j))>0 then flag=1;
end;
end;

run;

@monstera wrote:

Hi everyone,

proc sql;
	select	&listx
	from	injury.deathfile
		    death1 like 'W1%';
quit;

I'm using SAS x9.4.

Or you can also join with a column with like. 

proc sql;
	select	&listx
	from	injury.deathfile
left join lookupTable as lt where death1 like 'W0%' or death1 like lt.variableCompare; quit;
monstera
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much, Reeza.  Your reply was really helpful to me as a newer user.  I never would have figured out how to do this on my own with the books I have.  You also gave me new directions for learning, since I'm unfamiliar with flags and joining tables for this purpose. Thanks again for taking the time to write a helpful response with an explanation.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation