Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@PegaZeus wrote:

proc sql magic=103;
  create table final as 
  select *
  from have a
  inner join ids b on (a.id = b.id)
  left join nad g on (a.fpc = g.fpc)
  left join pricing e on (a.gpi = e.gpi) and (d.list_id = e.list_id)
  left join network f on (a.id = f.id)
  left join client_segment d on (a.client = d.client) and (a.bob = d.bob) and 
           (a.seg = d.seg) and (a.ex_id = d.ex_id) and (a.aids = d.aids)
  left join instate c on (a.ncp_id = c.ncp_id);
quit;

Have a look at:

https://github.com/scottbass/SAS/blob/master/Macro/hash_define.sas

https://github.com/scottbass/SAS/blob/master/Macro/hash_lookup.sas

You'll also need the utility macros:

https://github.com/scottbass/SAS/blob/master/Macro/parmv.sas

https://github.com/scottbass/SAS/blob/master/Macro/parmv.sas

Read the hash_define macro header thoroughly.  Run the self-contained examples.

You can simulate an inner join by filtering (subsetting if statement) on the return code from the hash object lookup.

Given your join criteria the order of your lookups is important.

Hopefully your dimension tables will fit into the memory available to your SAS session, otherwise you'll need to split the code into multiple datasteps.  Alternatively, you can create indexes on your dimension tables and use an index key lookup ("double set statement" - see the documentation on the SET statement, esp. the examples showing transaction datasets).

Give it a go and post followup questions.

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Assuming there is a column "name" in dataset "ids", this does the first part of your SQL:

data final;
set have;
if _n_ = 1
then do;
  length name $20; /* set attributes of data variables in the hash */
  declare hash ids(dataset:"ids");
  ids.definekey('id');
  ids.definedata('name'); /* insert more columns as needed */
  ids.definedone();
  call missing(name); /* prevents "uninitialized" NOTE */
end;
if ids.find() = 0; /* does two things:
  - fetches data coming from dataset ids
  - proceeds with the data step iteration only if match is found
    (does the "inner join")
*/
run;

Expand this as needed.

For more detailed assistance, show the structures of all the datasets in your SQL.

Edited according to answer by @ScottBass 

ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

There is an implied retain statement for data set variables.  Therefore the "if 0 then set ids" construct will cause a retain on all variables in ids.  Of particular interest are your definedata() variables, eg. "name".

Since ids is never read by a set statement, any failed find() method will cause the value from the previous successful find to be carried forward in the PDV.  Probably not what you want.

I recommend a call missing(of _all_) or at least call missing(of list,of,hash,object,satellite,variables) at the appropriate point in your data step.

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You are absolutely right. In this particular case, though, it would not be of consequence, as the subsetting if lets only observations through where a value is found.

But I will edit my post, as the other ("left join") hashes would suffer from this effect.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 6 in conversation