BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HenF
Calcite | Level 5

I am doing a proc import and I get a message in the log saying 

NOTE: Unable to open parameter catalog: SASUSER.PARMS.PARMS.SLIST in update mode.

I know this can be safely ignored, but can I suppress that message only so I don't have to suppress the whole log?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Bottom line:

1. You can't do anything about it, only the SAS admins can. 

2. It's a note, not an error, so your log is fine with it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

1. Why would you want to suppress the while log?

2. You could ask your SAS admin to remove the SASUSER.PARMS catalog. It's not part of the standard install. Is here a reason it's there?

HenF
Calcite | Level 5

1) I want to suppress this specific message because I have already checked that it has no impact on the execution of the program or the datasets I create. I don't want to have errors in the log. 

2) It's very hard to get hold of any SAS admin and it would be a long process that would likely result in nothing. I have essentially no influence over things like that in the big company I work for. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

That message is only a SAS NOTE, not an ERROR or a WARNING. That means if you are running in batch mode, the return code on the job is 0. So I don't see any need to suppress it unless you are seeing something different.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Bottom line:

1. You can't do anything about it, only the SAS admins can. 

2. It's a note, not an error, so your log is fine with it.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It will only issue that note when you do not have write access to SASUSER.

Can you make so you have write access to the SASUSER library?

You can also not use PROC IMPORT.  It will only issue that note if you are using it to read a TEXT file.  So just write your own data step to read the text file.

Or use some other method to guess how to read the text file. Such as: https://github.com/sasutils/macros/blob/master/csv2ds.sas

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation