BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ms400000
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to run a frequency summary for 4 categorical variables that change over time. They have the same possible categories but the freq could change depending on the variable. Is it possible to get a count all in one table so I can easily see how a category changed between them? They have about 600 categories so I don't want a crosstab of all the different combinations. Some categories may go to or from N=0 between var1 and var4. I looked at proc tabulate but I don't think it's quite what I want. Possible?

var1             var2                var3                var4 

cat1              N                 N                     N                    N

cat2              N

cat600           N

Any help would be appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Show us a portion of the original data.

You talk about time, but you don't show a time variable? Also, frequency of what? 

--
Paige Miller
ms400000
Calcite | Level 5

An equivalent example to my data would be where someone lives at different points of time. 

id       var1               var2             var3              var4

1        Ajax                Ajax            Ajax              Brampton

2       Regina            Navan         Navan           Navan

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I'm afraid that there's still a disconnect here between your original problem statement and the data you show.

How do you compute the value of N in your desired output as shown in your original problem statement? N is a single number, I don't see where it comes from given the data you just showed. Please explain the logic of going from the input data you showed to the output table you showed.

--
Paige Miller
ms400000
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry, cat1 - cat600 would be the different cities that are in my dataset. In var1 there were N1 people in Ajax, N2 people in Regina etc. Essentially I want a one way freq for each of var1 to var4 but in a single table and aligned when there may not be counts for all cities in all variables.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Thanks.

PROC FREQ will compute the frequencies of each city at each point in time. From there, you'd probably want to merge the outputs into a single data set, merged by city, and then do a PROC PRINT.

--
Paige Miller
ms400000
Calcite | Level 5

And I would like the number of individuals in each city (a single row is a single individual)

ballardw
Super User

Instead of pulling one detail after another please provide a small example data set, likely only 5 to 10 variables and a few values, small enough that you can show us the desired result for the example data.

Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the </> icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

I am thinking that this may be wanting a transpose and then use the name of the variables as a report variable such as:

data have;
   input var1 var2 var3 var4;
datalines;
12  13 12 5
5   5  6  12
3  12  12 8
;

data trans;
   set have;
   array v var1-var4;
   do i=1 to dim(v);
      name = vname(v[i]);
      cat  = v[i];
      output;
   end;
   keep name cat;
run;

proc tabulate data=trans;
   class name cat;
   table cat, name*n=' '
        misstext=' ';
run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation