BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rfarmenta
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a long dataset with up to 6000 observations per participant and 121 participants. One of the variables is HR and I need to create average heart rate (variable=HR) for each participant and heart rate in each activity they participated in (Variable=activity with categories 0-5) 

I can create the average HR for each participant using the following: 

PROC MEANS DATA=mod_data NWAY NOPRINT; CLASS study_id;
VAR HR;
OUTPUT
OUT = SUMS(DROP=_TYPE_ RENAME=(_FREQ_=N_VISITS))
N = N_HR
MEAN = M_HR; RUN;

I am not quite sure how to get the average heart rate for each participant in each activity. SO I would need 6 new variables, one for each activity that gives the participants average heart rate in that activity. Not all participants did all activities and some participants did all of the activities so there are varying amounts of missing data. I need a dataset that looks like the following:

Study_id

HRM_ACT0

HRM_ACT1

HRM_ACT2

HRM_ACT3

HRM_ACT4

HRM_ACT5

M_HR

I've tried a couple ways to do this unsuccessfully so any help would be appreciated. A sample dataset is attached Thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
You're missing an ID variable in your TRANSPOSE code, which should be the activity. Because you want that number as the ID.

You sort of kluged that in the second example, except you can have multiple ID variables, you don't have to pre-combine them.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

@rfarmenta wrote:

I have a long dataset with up to 6000 observations per participant and 121 participants. One of the variables is HR and I need to create average heart rate (variable=HR) for each participant and heart rate in each activity they participated in (Variable=activity with categories 0-5) 

I can create the average HR for each participant using the following: 

PROC MEANS DATA=mod_data NWAY NOPRINT; CLASS study_id;
VAR HR;
OUTPUT
OUT = SUMS(DROP=_TYPE_ RENAME=(_FREQ_=N_VISITS))
N = N_HR
MEAN = M_HR; RUN;

I am not quite sure how to get the average heart rate for each participant in each activity. SO I would need 6 new variables, one for each activity that gives the participants average heart rate in that activity. Not all participants did all activities and some participants did all of the activities so there are varying amounts of missing data. I need a dataset that looks like the following:

Study_id

HRM_ACT0

HRM_ACT1

HRM_ACT2

HRM_ACT3

HRM_ACT4

HRM_ACT5

M_HR

I've tried a couple ways to do this unsuccessfully so any help would be appreciated. A sample dataset is attached Thank you in advance. 

Just add Activity to a CLASS or BY statement to get data by Activity. 

PROC MEANS is a foundational tool in SAS, I would strongly recommend you read up on it and learn how to use it properly. 

PROC MEANS and FREQ should be the most frequently used tools in your toolkit for statistical analysis. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

PROC MEANS is a foundational tool in SAS, I would strongly recommend you read up on it and learn how to use it properly. 

If I was going to create a list of maxims, this would be one of them!

And I would mention PROC MEANS has an identical twin sister named PROC SUMMARY. 

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Do you need a data set (further programming uses it) or a report (people read it)?

For a data set add what ever variable you have that indicates the activity to the CLASS statement.

For a report either Proc Tabulate or Report and use the activity as an across variable.

rfarmenta
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you! I need data and I was able to figure this out using proc means and proc transpose using the following code: 

PROC MEANS DATA=mod_data NWAY NOPRINT; 
CLASS study_id activity;
VAR HR;
OUTPUT
OUT = SUMS
MEAN = M_HR; RUN;

proc transpose data=SUMS_test(drop=_type_ _freq_)
               out=transposed_hrm(drop=activity _label_)
               name=activity prefix=ACT
               suffix=HRM;
  by study_id;
  var M_HR;
run;

However, I am running into one issue that I've run into in the past which is why I had initially asked this questions. The transpose creates 6 new variables (act1hrm-act6hrm). When I transpose the data is puts each participants information in consecutive variables. For example, if a participant has HR data for activity 1, 3, and 5, the transpose puts the data in the act1hrm, act2hrm, and act3hrm instead of act1hrm, act3hrm, and act5hrm where the data should be placed. I hope this makes sense.

Previously, when I was doing something similar I used the solution below as suggested by another user to concatenate variables before transposing. However, this does not seem to work when modifying the code to use the HR variable, which is continuous, instead of the hrzone variable, which only has 3 categories. I am likely not doing something correctly and I know I need to read up on proc means more, which I am doing. But I can't seem to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

proc means data=mod_data n completetypes;
  var indicator;
  class study_id activity hrzone;
  types study_id*activity*hrzone;
  output out=acthr_summary n=acthr;
  title 'Time in activity by hrzone level for each participant';
run;

proc contents data=acthr_summary;
run;

* concatenate 'ACTHR', activity, hrzone, and 'T' to use when 
* naming variable after transpose ;

data acthr_summary_with_combo;
  length combo $ 8;
  set acthr_summary(drop=_type_ _freq_);
  combo=cat('ACTHR',activity,hrzone,'T');
run;

proc contents data=acthr_summary_with_combo;
run;

proc transpose data=acthr_summary_with_combo(drop=activity hrzone)
               out=transposed_acthr(drop=_name_);
  by study_id;
  var acthr;
  id combo;
run;
Reeza
Super User
You're missing an ID variable in your TRANSPOSE code, which should be the activity. Because you want that number as the ID.

You sort of kluged that in the second example, except you can have multiple ID variables, you don't have to pre-combine them.
rfarmenta
Obsidian | Level 7

I figured it was going to be something simple, that worked! Thank you! 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation