BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
CindyVu
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I have monthly data and variable's names are formated with structure of year and month, for example _19991 _19992 ... _199912.

Now I want to sum up 12 months to get annual data. I wrote code below and it works but I wonder whether there is a way to reduce 5 lines to 1 line only.

DATA MB.MB_1995_1999_ANNUAL;
SET MB.MB_1995_1999_MONTHLY;
_1995 = SUM(OF _1995:);
_1996 = SUM(OF _1996:);
_1997 = SUM(OF _1997:);
_1998 = SUM(OF _1998:);
_1999 = SUM(OF _1999:);
RUN;

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Here's the transpose and sum method:

data long;
set temp;

array _d(*) _20:;

do i=1 to dim(_d);
Year = input(substr(vname(_d(i)), 2, 4), 8.);
Month = input(substr(vname(_d(i)), 6), 8.);
Value = _d(i);
output;
end;

drop _2:;
run;

proc sort data=long;
by 
 Company_Name   CUSIP   Primary_SIC_Code 
 Industry_Sector_Code   Intl_Securities_ID   SEDOL_Code  year month;
 run;

proc means data=long nway noprint;
by 
 Industry_Sector_Code   Intl_Securities_ID   SEDOL_Code  year;
 var value;
 output out=want sum= ;
 run;

@CindyVu wrote:

Oh, actually I plan to transpose after calculating because I think it's easier to sum up annual data first. 

My data file is attached below. Can you take a look and suggest some code lines? Thank you

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

> I wonder whether there is a way to reduce 5 lines to 1 line only.

No there isn't. You could build a loop, but why?

What you can do to improve you code though is not write everything in uppercase.

CindyVu
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, I am very new to SAS. Why shouldn't I write everything in uppercase?

For this situation, I have many files with the same format like this. So If I can reduce, it will save more time than modifying every 5 lines when using new data file.

Reeza
Super User
Not really. You could do an array, but with just 5, you'll end up with the same thing anyways.

If you want a more dynamic approach that will work, I suggest switching your data to a long format in general and then this can easily be accomplished in one PROC.
CindyVu
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi ,

Yes, must 5 is not a big problem. But I have many files with the same format like this, I think it can be some more general codes so I can save time modifying every 5 lines.

I tried to use array but it didn't work. I am new with SAS so still not familiar with using array. Can you write codes for me? My data looks like this31108350_239160709981430_1781197597067706368_n.jpg

Reeza
Super User
If you need to deal with this regularly and across more dates I strongly suggest transposing your data, proc transpose, then use PROC MEANS to calculate things more easily.

I can’t work with images. If you need help with code post actual data as text, preferably as a data step. There’s instructions on the forum on how to do so if you do a quick search.
CindyVu
Fluorite | Level 6

Oh, actually I plan to transpose after calculating because I think it's easier to sum up annual data first. 

My data file is attached below. Can you take a look and suggest some code lines? Thank you

Reeza
Super User
It’s easier after. Try a transpose and proc means.
Reeza
Super User

Here's the transpose and sum method:

data long;
set temp;

array _d(*) _20:;

do i=1 to dim(_d);
Year = input(substr(vname(_d(i)), 2, 4), 8.);
Month = input(substr(vname(_d(i)), 6), 8.);
Value = _d(i);
output;
end;

drop _2:;
run;

proc sort data=long;
by 
 Industry_Sector_Code   Intl_Securities_ID   SEDOL_Code  year month;
 run;

proc means data=long nway noprint;
by 
 Industry_Sector_Code   Intl_Securities_ID   SEDOL_Code  year;
 var value;
 output out=want sum= ;
 run;

@CindyVu wrote:

CindyVu
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi, I tried your codes, but after running PROC MEANS, the result does not show sum of every 12 months. Can you check it again?
Reeza
Super User
I did, it worked fine. Post the actual code you used. Note that MONTH is not in the PROC MEANS, but is in the PROC SORT. SO the sum is happening by YEAR.
CindyVu
Fluorite | Level 6
Oh yes, my bad. I used month in both MEANS and SORT so it didn't work. Thank you so much for your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation