BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jeremy4
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have two variables that I want to focus on - set and balance. Is there code that would sum up balance by set i.e. in the 'Results' tab, there would be a summary table that would show that set=1 has a total balance of 107, set=2 has a total balance of 46 and set=3 has a total balance of 95. The below example is a small extract but there are over 100,000 records in my dataset, so would like a quick overview to see what the total balance would be by set (1, 2 or 3). Thanks!

Set   Balance

1          25

1          82

2          36

3          80

3          15

2          10

Current code:

proc summary data=test;

var balance;

by set;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Pay attention, in your code you used BY SET, which assumes that the data set is already sorted by SET.

If you have no huge amount of sets you can use CLASS instead of BY and be free of sorting the data set.

Anyhow you missed the OUTPUT statement:

proc summary data=test;

var balance;

by set;   /* or class set; */

output out=want sum=;

run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Pay attention, in your code you used BY SET, which assumes that the data set is already sorted by SET.

If you have no huge amount of sets you can use CLASS instead of BY and be free of sorting the data set.

Anyhow you missed the OUTPUT statement:

proc summary data=test;

var balance;

by set;   /* or class set; */

output out=want sum=;

run;
Reeza
Super User
Did your code not work?
Or do you need something else?

proc sort data=test; by set;run;
proc means data=test sum;
by set;
var balance;
run;
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Your code looks o.k. to me (if the source data is sorted by variable SET). Here just for fun alternative code using SQL.

proc sql;
/*  create table want as*/
  select 
    set, sum(balance) as sum_balance
  from test
  group by set
  ;
quit;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation