BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
saslove
Quartz | Level 8

I have a library that contains ~30 datasets. Every week, new data is downloaded and the data gets saved with a date stamp. 

I re-run my reports every week on newly updated data. The issues I run into is each time I have to copy the name of the date stamp since the variable name changes because the date stamp changes.

Is there a way to code this in SAS that can get rid of the date stamp and save the datasets without these datestamps so that the dataset name doesn't need to be changed in my report each week? Currently, I right-click, rename, remove the '_DATA_2019-07-29_1343', which is not the smartest way.

For ex: I have protocol01-Dataset1_DATA_2019-07-29_1342

protocol01-Dataset2_DATA_2019-07-29_1343

and so on..

Thanks for your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

@saslove wrote:

I have a library that contains ~30 datasets. Every week, new data is downloaded and the data gets saved with a date stamp. 

I re-run my reports every week on newly updated data. The issues I run into is each time I have to copy the name of the date stamp since the variable name changes because the date stamp changes.

Is there a way to code this in SAS that can get rid of the date stamp and save the datasets without these datestamps so that the dataset name doesn't need to be changed in my report each week? Currently, I right-click, rename, remove the '_DATA_2019-07-29_1343', which is not the smartest way.

and so on..

Thanks for your help! 

What about changing your program to have it factor in as a wild card? 

Replace the '_DATA_2019-07-29_1343' portion with a *. 

This may depend on how you're importing the data but in general you can use wildcards in file names. 

data want;
infile 'myFilename_*.csv' dsd truncover lrecl=500;
input a b c d e f g ... z;
run;

If you have multiple files with a similar name it will read all the files. You can store the filename as a new variable in the data set to identify the data source. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

So you don't want to keep past data sets? You delete all but the latest?

saslove
Quartz | Level 8
That’s correct. I don’t need to keep the past data. But even I am going to, it’s alright.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this?

options validmemname=extend;
data 'Dataset1_DATA_2019 07 29_1342'n
     'Dataset2_DATA_2019 07 29_1342'n
     'Dataset3_DATA_2019 07 29_1344'n;
run;

proc sql noprint;
 select max(MEMNAME) into :keepname    
 from DICTIONARY.TABLES 
 where LIBNAME='WORK'
   and MEMNAME like 'DATASET__DATA_%';   %put &=keepname;

select catt('"',MEMNAME,'"n') into :deletenames separated by ' '
 from DICTIONARY.TABLES 
 where LIBNAME='WORK'
   and MEMNAME like 'DATASET__DATA_%'
   and MEMNAME ne "&keepname";
quit;

proc datasets lib=WORK;
  delete &deletenames.; 
  change "&keepname"n=NAMETOKEEP;
quit;

NOTE: Deleting WORK.'DATASET1_DATA_2019 07 29_1342'n (memtype=DATA).
NOTE: Deleting WORK.'DATASET2_DATA_2019 07 29_1342'n (memtype=DATA).
NOTE: Changing the name WORK.'DATASET3_DATA_2019 07 29_1344'n to WORK.NAMETOKEEP (memtype=DATA).

Reeza
Super User

@saslove wrote:

and so on..

Thanks for your help! 

What about changing your program to have it factor in as a wild card? 

Replace the '_DATA_2019-07-29_1343' portion with a *. 

This may depend on how you're importing the data but in general you can use wildcards in file names. 

data want;
infile 'myFilename_*.csv' dsd truncover lrecl=500;
input a b c d e f g ... z;
run;

If you have multiple files with a similar name it will read all the files. You can store the filename as a new variable in the data set to identify the data source. 

saslove
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the wildcard idea, Reeza. I used it in my import step for all my 33 datasets and it runs perfectly.

Sharing the code for future reference

%let datafiledt=2019_0729;

%macro import (myfilename=,workfile=);

proc import out=work.&workfile
datafile="\\server\study\data download\&datafiledt.\&myFilename._*.csv"
DBMS=CSV REPLACE; guessingrows=65465;
run;

%mend import;

%import (myfilename=study-datafile1,workfile=datafile1);
%import (myfilename=study-datafile2,workfile=datafile2);

and so on.. 

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

The smartest way would be to avoid creating those ill-named datasets at all and maybe use Generation Data Sets if older versions are required for anything.

But if you can't change that, you could use sashelp.vtable to get the name of the latest dataset in a library.

saslove
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the tip. However, the data dump occurs automatically from a very old database. So, there is no way to remove the date stamp. We had already looked into this to save time. I posted here since that was not a possibility.
I used the wildcard tip from @Reeza and it works great. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation