BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mcook
Quartz | Level 8

I have code similar to the following.  I am trying to vertically join/concatenate about 370 tables. 

From what i have read, the sql Outer Union Corr is equivalent to the data steps set statement.  

However when i run the code, to join the same tables using the 2 different methods, the results differ. 

The proc sql outer union corr results in roughly 100 more obs than the data step.  (out of roughly 117,000).

is there an aspect I am overlooking with etiher approach? 

*DATA STEP;

data Temp1;
	set lib1.Table_02
		lib1.Table_03
		lib1.Table_10;
run;

data Temp2;
	set Lib2.Table_02
		Lib2.Table_03
		lib2.Table_10;
run;
data temp40;
	set lib15.Table_02
		lib15.Table_03
		lib15.Table_10;

data TempALL;
	set Temp1
		Temp2
		Temp3
		Temp40;
run;

*PROC SQL;
proc sql noprint;
	create table Temp1 as 
		select * from 
			Lib1.Table_02 OUTER UNION CORR select * from  
			Lib1.Table_03	OUTER UNION CORR select * from 
			Lib1.Table_100;

quit;

proc sql noprint;
	create table Temp2 as 
		select * from 
			Lib2.Table_02 OUTER UNION CORR select * from  
			Lib2.Table_03	OUTER UNION CORR select * from 
			Lib2.Table_100;
quit;

proc sql noprint;
	create table Temp3 as 
		select * from 
			Lib3.Table_02 OUTER UNION CORR select * from  
			Lib3.Table_03	OUTER UNION CORR select * from 
			Lib3.Table_100;
quit;

proc sql noprint;
	create table Temp4 as 
		select * from 
			Lib4.Table_02 OUTER UNION CORR select * from  
			Lib4.Table_03	OUTER UNION CORR select * from 
			Lib4.Table_100;
quit;

proc sql noprint;
	create table TempAll as 
		select * from 
			Temp1 OUTER UNION CORR select * from
			Temp2 OUTER UNION CORR select * from
			Temp3 OUTER UNION CORR select * from
			Temp4;
quit;
6 REPLIES 6
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

I tested with 100 datasets using a DATA step concatenation and SQL OUTER UNION CORR. The resulting datasets were identical. Can you give more detail on what you're doing? Here's my test code:

options dlcreatedir ;
libname lib1 "%qsysfunc(pathname(work))\lib1";
options nodlcreatedir nomprint nomlogic nosymbolgen; 

%macro MakeData(lib,num);
proc datasets library=&lib kill nolist nodetails;
run; quit;
%do i=1 %to #
%let n=%unquote(%putn(&i,z3.));
data lib1.Table_&n;
   retain Table "Table_&n";
   do ID_&n =1 to 5;
      output;
   end;
run;
%end;
%mend;

%macro ConcatenateDS(lib,num);
data work.tempAll_ds;
	set 
%do i=1 %to #
      lib1.Table_&n
%end;
;
run;
%end;
%mend;

%macro ConcatenateSQL(lib,num);
proc sql;
	create table work.tempALL_sql as 
%do i=1 %to %eval(&num-1);
		select * 
         from lib1.Table_&n
         OUTER UNION CORR 
%end;
		select * 
         from lib1.Table_&n
   ;
quit;
%mend;

%let no=100;
%makedata(lib1,&no)
%ConcatenateDS(lib1,&no)
%ConcatenateSQL(lib1,&no)

proc compare base=work.tempALL_ds
             compare=work.tempALL_sql;
run;

And the results:

The SAS System

The COMPARE Procedure                                         
                         Comparison of WORK.TEMPALL_DS with WORK.TEMPALL_SQL                          
                                            (Method=EXACT)                                            

Data Set Summary                                            

Dataset                    Created          Modified  NVar    NObs                  

WORK.TEMPALL_DS   11MAR22:15:50:50  11MAR22:15:50:50   101     500                  
                  WORK.TEMPALL_SQL  11MAR22:15:50:50  11MAR22:15:50:50   101     500                  

Variables Summary                                           

Number of Variables in Common: 101.                                    

Observation Summary                                          

Observation      Base  Compare                                    

First Obs           1        1                                    
                                    Last  Obs         500      500                                    

Number of Observations in Common: 500.                                             
                   Total Number of Observations Read from WORK.TEMPALL_DS: 500.                       
                   Total Number of Observations Read from WORK.TEMPALL_SQL: 500.                      

Number of Observations with Some Compared Variables Unequal: 0.                    
                   Number of Observations with All Compared Variables Equal: 500.                     

NOTE: No unequal values were found. All values compared are exactly equal.         

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
mkeintz
PROC Star

Log please, including the exact code that produce log messages.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

mkeintz
PROC Star

This note has nothing to do with the actual question you pose.  But here are two comments that may substantially improve efficiency: 

1. OPEN=DEFER.  If, for a given SET statement, the input datasets all have the same variables, then you can save a lot of memory by using the OPEN=DEFER option.  The default is OPEN=IMMEDIATE, which tells SAS to set up memory buffers for every dataset named in the SET statement.  Using OPEN=DEFER opens just one buffer, which is then reused for each dataset.   BUT ... this relies on the datasets having identical sets and types of variables.

2. Regardless of whether you can take advantage of OPEN=DEFER, define the datasets TEMP1, TEMP2, .... TEMP40 as dataset views, not (as you have done) dataset files.  As views, they are merely rules for data access.  These rules will not be activated (i.e. data will not be processed) until the view is called upon later in the program.  As a result, the data are not written to disk, merely to be subsequently read back from disk.  Instead, data from the views are transferred directly to the calling data (or proc) step.

Putting these two suggestions together, you would have:

data VTemp1 / view=vtemp1;
	set lib1.Table_02
		lib1.Table_03
		lib1.Table_10
        open=defer;
run;

data VTemp2 / view=vtemp2;
	set Lib2.Table_02
		Lib2.Table_03
		lib2.Table_10
        open=defer;
run;
data Vtemp40 / view=vtemp40;
	set lib15.Table_02
		lib15.Table_03
		lib15.Table_10
        open=defer;
data TempALL;
	set Temp1
		Temp2
		Temp3
		Temp40
        open=defer;
run;

Of course, if all 370 datasets have identical variables, you don't need to create intermediate data sets (TEMP1, TEMP2, ...).  Instead you could

data TempALL;
	set lib1.Table_02
		lib1.Table_03
		lib1.Table_10

Lib2.Table_02
		Lib2.Table_03
		lib2.Table_10
	    lib15.Table_02
		lib15.Table_03
		lib15.Table_10
        open=defer;
run;
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Reeza
Super User
And just a note that you can short cut reference these datasets if they do have sequential names.

data all;
set lib1.table_02-lib1.table_10
lib2.table_02-lib2.table_10
lib3.table_02-lib3.table_10;
run;
mcook
Quartz | Level 8

My apologies to everyone.  It turned out to be a case of user error. 

One of the tables was being added twice, but it somehow had gotten moved off to the right by about 20 Tabs, so it was far out of view, but still held the correct syntax.  So in the dozens of times i looked through the list of tables, i never saw it until I did a Ctrl+F search for it.  

At which point my wife comes running into my office to see what all the cursing was about. 

Again.  apologies. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There are some differences between the SQL unions and the data step SET statements when the structures are different.

The SQL code will set the length of character variables to the maximum length it has on any of the input datasets.

The SET statement will set the length of character variables to the length it has on the first dataset where it appears.

There is a limit on the number of datasets you can combine in a single SQL statement.  I don't think there is a similar limit on the number of datasets you can reference in a SET statement.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation