Data are not sorted. I am running below codes:
Proc sort data=tmp; by id name var;

Data tmp1;
Set tmp;
By id name var;
If first.name and last.var;
Run;

How can I do this without sorting?
My data is a very large and it is taking over an hour to just sort. Any help?
Thank you
9 REPLIES 9
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Where is the dataset tmp coming from? If it is already in the right data order then you don't need to sort again.

Have you tried your program without the sort and if so what does your SAS log report?

Emma2021
Quartz | Level 8
They are not sorted by those 3 key variables.
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

We need more information, so please post proc contents of your dataset "tmp". This will show the size of the dataset along with information about the variables contained, maybe tagsort could be used. Also please post some lines of the dataset and the expected result - as always as a working data step, maybe another approach is possible.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Please post the complete output of PROC CONTENTS for your dataset.

In which environment do you run this code (single machine or client-server)?

Emma2021
Quartz | Level 8
There are only 4 variables —all about 200 length string except var is numeric integer data.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Long character variables like 200 characters take up a lot of space resulting in large datasets. Using the COMPRESS = YES SAS option might reduce your dataset sizes and speed up your processing.

ballardw
Super User

Have you tried the TAGSORT option? This reduces the size of temporary utility files used during sort and if part of the time is related to moving lots of data in/out of the utility set may reduce execution time. May not.

Proc sort data=tmp tagsort; 
   by id name var;
run;

@Emma2021 wrote:
Data are not sorted. I am running below codes:
Proc sort data=tmp; by id name var;

Data tmp1;
Set tmp;
By id name var;
If first.name and last.var;
Run;

How can I do this without sorting?
My data is a very large and it is taking over an hour to just sort. Any help?
Thank you

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

First, make sure you have your memory options set to utilize as much as possible of your working memory (MEMSIZE, SORTSIZE).

But as some point you need to sort that data.

You could ommit storing a tempory data set (probably not the the biggest part of the processing) by using a single SQL statement:

proc sql;
create table tmp1 as
select id, name, var
from tmp
group by id, name, var
having count(*) = 1;
quit;
Data never sleeps

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation