BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sjarvis847
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello SAS Community!

I am hoping someone might have a trick to shorten the following if then statement. I am working in a file that contains 44 diagnosis codes, I need to go through those and make some of the diagnosis codes a new variable with the specific diagnosis (for example femoral neck fracture = yes1/no0), but am not interested in all of the diagnosis codes (there are over 5k) so I don't want to transpose the variable.

What I have been doing is as follows: 

data.x; set.x;

if diagcode1 = 'S72.0' then femoralneckfx = 1; 

if diagcode2 = 'S72.0' then femoralneckfx = 1;

....(and so on for all 44 diagnosis codes)....

if femoralneckfx NE 1 then femoralneckfx = 0;

run;

then repeating for a similar process for the 9 diagnoses of interest. 

I found I could slightly shorten it a little  by typing "if diagcode1 = 'S72.0' or diagcode2 = 'S72.0' of diagcode3 = 'S72.0' .......then femoralneckfx = 1;"

But I was wondering if there is a way to write it even shorter, can you look for the text across all 44 variables at the same time so you don't have to repeat the ='S72.0'? 

I tried " if 'S72.0' in (diagcode1, diagcode2, diagcode3...) then femoralneckfx = 1; " but that didn't work either. 

Thanks for any help you can provide! 

Steph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @sjarvis847,

@sjarvis847 wrote:

I tried " if 'S72.0' in (diagcode1, diagcode2, diagcode3...) then femoralneckfx = 1; " but that didn't work either. 

The correct syntax for this type of condition is: value IN arrayname.

data want;
set have;
array diagcode[44];
femoralneckfx=('S72.0' in diagcode);
run;

The necessary ARRAY statement could also refer to the variable list diagcode:, assuming that diagcode1 through diagcode44 are the only variables in the input dataset (HAVE) whose names start with "diagcode". Then the array name doesn't need to be diagcode and also the hardcoded "44" can be eliminated:

data want;
set have;
array _dc[*] diagcode:;
femoralneckfx=('S72.0' in _dc);
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You could use the WHICHC function. Example given at the link.

--
Paige Miller
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
data x1;
    set x;
    femoralneckfx=whichc('S72.0',of diagcode:)>0;
run;
--
Paige Miller
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @sjarvis847,

@sjarvis847 wrote:

The correct syntax for this type of condition is: value IN arrayname.

data want;
set have;
array diagcode[44];
femoralneckfx=('S72.0' in diagcode);
run;

The necessary ARRAY statement could also refer to the variable list diagcode:, assuming that diagcode1 through diagcode44 are the only variables in the input dataset (HAVE) whose names start with "diagcode". Then the array name doesn't need to be diagcode and also the hardcoded "44" can be eliminated:

data want;
set have;
array _dc[*] diagcode:;
femoralneckfx=('S72.0' in _dc);
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation