BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SasStatistics
Pyrite | Level 9

Please note the post has been updated: 

How would I select the next to last row in SAS for each group of Column ID? Either with data step or proc sql. 

Example: So I would for each ID want the next to last observation, meaning I want observation/row 3, 5, 13.

ID Observation
1 1
1 2
1 3
1 4
2 5
2 6
3 7
3 8
3 9
3 10
3 11
3 12
3 13
3 14
8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Delete the last row, then keep the new last row (which originally was the next to last row);

data want1;
    set have;
    by id;
    if not last.id;
run;
data want2;
    set want1;
    by id;
    if last.id;
run;

--
Paige Miller
SasStatistics
Pyrite | Level 9
Had to update the post, sorry. Do you know the solution in this updated case?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The same code I gave should work. Have you tried it?

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

When I see a question like this I just have to ask "why do you not want the last row for each group"?

Along with details such as "What if the group only has one observation?" There is no "next to last" in that case.

Would having all the values of other variable(s) with the same value modify the rule(s)? Or other variable(s) missing values modify the rule(s)?

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @SasStatistics,

You can also use the POINT= option of the SET statement to take one step back in the sequence of observations. The CUROBS= option helps to determine the appropriate observation number.

data want;
set have curobs=_n;
by id;
if last.id & ~first.id then do;
  _p=_n-1;
  set have point=_p;
  output;
end;
run;

The condition ~first.id excludes IDs with only one observation from dataset WANT.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Nice work @FreelanceReinh and this generalizes to the case where you want the third to last row or the fourth to last row ...

--
Paige Miller
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@PaigeMiller wrote:

Nice work @FreelanceReinh and this generalizes to the case where you want the third to last row or the fourth to last row ...

Thanks. That generalization would likely involve the LAGn function (to compare IDs) or a counter variable instead of the ~first.id condition.

Ksharp
Super User
data have;
infile cards expandtabs;
input ID Observation;
cards;
1 1
1 2
1 3
1 4
2 5
2 6
3 7
3 8
3 9
3 10
3 11
3 12
3 13
3 14
;

data want;
do i=1 by 1 until(last.id);
  set have;
  by id;
end;
do j=1 by 1 until(last.id);
  set have;
  by id;
  if j=i-1  then output;
end;
drop i j;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation