BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dwarden3
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you in advance.

Table A: 

ID  X  Y 

1   -90 35 

2   -90 37

3   -90  39

Table B: 

Area  X  Y

A       -90 33

B       -91 36

C       -90 38

How can I query Table B to select the area that is closest (smallest difference between both x and y) for each observation in Table A such that I end up with:

ID  X  Y  Area

Table A is about 240k observations. There are about 18k observations(areas) in table B.

Edit: for the final table, I want the X/Y coords from table A.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@dwarden3 wrote:
Yes, these are geocoordinates (Long/Lat).

Then you could replace the %Distance in @gamotte's solution with Geodist (lat1,long1, lat2,long2). The latitude does need to come before the longitude in the parameter order but the pair position doesn't.

The default unit reported as the distance would be Kilometers. If you want the distance in miles then Geodist (lat1,long1, lat2,long2,'M')

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Closest? How do you define that in this case? Euclidean distance? Sum of the differences? Sum of the absolute value of the differences? Or some other measure?

Can you give an example or three?

--
Paige Miller
dwarden3
Fluorite | Level 6

Euclidean distance would work. These are X/Y coordinates. 

ballardw
Super User

@dwarden3 wrote:

Euclidean distance would work. These are X/Y coordinates. 

Are these geocoodinates? As in latitude and longitude?

I ask because there is a specific function, Geodist, to calculate geodetic distance or the length of a curve on the earths surface and simple Euclidean distance may not be precise enough if dealing with a large range of coordinates.

dwarden3
Fluorite | Level 6
ballardw
Super User

@dwarden3 wrote:

Then you could replace the %Distance in @gamotte's solution with Geodist (lat1,long1, lat2,long2). The latitude does need to come before the longitude in the parameter order but the pair position doesn't.

The default unit reported as the distance would be Kilometers. If you want the distance in miles then Geodist (lat1,long1, lat2,long2,'M')

dwarden3
Fluorite | Level 6
This works. Sorry for the late reply. I have to break the dataset up to the county level for it to run, but the output is exactly what I need. Thank you @ballardw and @gamotte
gamotte
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hello,

Depending of your definition of distance, you can modify the macro below :

%macro distance(x1, y1, x2, y2);

sqrt((&x2-&x1)**2+(&y2-&y1)**2)

%mend;

proc sql noprint;
CREATE TABLE want AS
SELECT a.*, b.Area, %distance(a.X,a.Y, b.X, b.Y) AS DIST
FROM a, b
GROUP BY ID
HAVING %distance(a.X,a.Y, b.X, b.Y)=min(%distance(a.X,a.Y, b.X, b.Y))
;
quit;

Note that the number of observations will increase if there are several observation for the minimal distance.

ballardw
Super User

Is there any other information that would allow at least grouping?

The meaning of X? If that is a longitude in degrees and the range of values is large enough then 179.9 and -179.9 are "closer" than 179.9 and 175 and we need to know that to appropriately calculate distance.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation