BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chris2377
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I want to use case-when logic to condtionally create a new variable - in the example below, I want to assign all observations with value below 10 to the first group an all other to the second group. Can I do it without if-then/else block? I've found the examples of using select statement inside the data step but it does not work as expected - only the first record is assingned properly. What am I doing wrong?

data test;
	input var;
	datalines;
	;
run;

data test;
	set test;
	select (var);
		when (var < 10) target_group = 1;
		otherwise  target_group = 2;
	end;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JosvanderVelden
SAS Super FREQ

The page https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/lestmtsref/p09213s9jc2t99n1vx0omk2rh9ps.htm#p... indicates the correct use.

You should use the code:

select;
	end;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JosvanderVelden
SAS Super FREQ

The page https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/lestmtsref/p09213s9jc2t99n1vx0omk2rh9ps.htm#p... indicates the correct use.

You should use the code:

select;
	end;
chris2377
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks @JosvanderVelden

Do you have any idea why the intial code produced this strange result (only first observation in the first group)? I could understand if it produced an error because of incorrecet syntax. But it did something strange instead.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

See this article about the SELECT-WHEN logic in the DATA step.

The SELECT-WHEN statement supports two syntaxes. The first is when you are matching a discrete set of values that you know about in advance. For example:

data test2;
	set test;
   condition = (var < 10);
	select (condition);
		when (1) target_group = 1;
	end;
run;

In the other syntax, you do not specify the name of the variable on the SELECT statement, and you  put the logic in the WHEN statement, like this:

data test3;
	set test;
	select;
	end;
run;

Although you can use the SELECT-WHEN statement to create a new variable, you can also use a SAS FORMAT to create the values that you want.

chris2377
Quartz | Level 8
@Rick_SAS
Many thanks for this!
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @chris2377,

Such a simple conditional assignment can indeed be written without any additional statements:

data want;
set test;
target_group=2-(var < 10);
run;

The Boolean expression var < 10 is evaluated to 1 if the inequality is true (which includes the case that var contains a missing value!), else to 0. So, two minus the result is exactly the desired value for target_group. This also explains the result of your SELECT statement: the "Boolean" 1 (for TRUE) happened to match your var value 1.

Also note that I used a different output dataset name (WANT) to avoid overwriting the input dataset in case of incorrect logic.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation