BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RedUser77
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello!

I am having trouble figuring out how to select a certain column whose string starts with the letter C and ends with 8-10 numbers only. I know how to use 'C%' but am unable on how to figure out the string length in range part. Below I have it pulling anything from address that start with C. I just need to figure out how to implement the range of 8-10 numbers that follow that C into the sample code below.

Any ideas?

SELECT c.NEIGHBORS,
c.COUNTRY,
c.ADDRESS,
FROM DATA.SAMPLE a
LEFT JOIN DATA.SAMPLE_DIM b ON (a.CAR = b.CAR)
LEFT JOIN DATA.EXTRA c ON (a.COLOR = c.COLOR)
WHERE a.CAR LIKE 'Toyota'  AND c.INTERNET = 'Charter' AND c.ADDRESS LIKE 'C%';
QUIT;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

The COUNTC function can count the number of specific characters:

The function searches in the first parameter, the string to search, for the characters in the second position. The 'd' add all the digits so is just quicker than typing all the 0 through 9.

Caveat: this will count the digits even if there are spaces or other letters in the middle. Since you haven't provided an actual examples of the string to search I am starting with a simple case. If you have other stuff you need to provide examples and which match your rule(s).

data example;
   input str :$15.;
   nums = countc(str,'1','d');
datalines;
C1
C22
C345
C444
C4567
C12345678
C1234566788
C1111111111 ;

@RedUser77 wrote:

Hello!

I am having trouble figuring out how to select a certain column whose string starts with the letter C and ends with 8-10 numbers only. I know how to use 'C%' but am unable on how to figure out the string length in range part. Below I have it pulling anything from address that start with C. I just need to figure out how to implement the range of 8-10 numbers that follow that C into the sample code below.

Any ideas?

SELECT c.NEIGHBORS,
c.COUNTRY,
c.ADDRESS,
FROM DATA.SAMPLE a
LEFT JOIN DATA.SAMPLE_DIM b ON (a.CAR = b.CAR)
LEFT JOIN DATA.EXTRA c ON (a.COLOR = c.COLOR)
WHERE a.CAR LIKE 'Toyota'  AND c.INTERNET = 'Charter' AND c.ADDRESS LIKE 'C%';
QUIT;

RedUser77
Obsidian | Level 7
This column, c.ADDRESS, has data populated in it such as 'D12345', 'C1234567', 'C12345678', 'C123456789', 'W123', 'CBDUEJDKS', etc. I want it to only return strings that start with C and have 8-10 numbers that follow. So, from this list, it should return C1234567, C12345678, and C123456789 only. Is there a way to implement this into the PROC SQL statement originally posted?
RedUser77
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. Now, this does work if I were to use this statement three times on two other columns following the same format? I have two other columns I want to pull where data starts with C and has anywhere from 8-10 digits following. Would I just put the whole statement in () with OR inside?

Like: AND (PRXMATCH('/C\d{8,10}/', c.ADDRESS) OR PRXMATCH('/C\d{8,10}/', c.ADDRESS_1) OR PRXMATCH('/C\d{8,10}/', c.ADDRESS_2)) 

Ksharp
Super User
data example;
   input str $15.;
   if prxmatch('/^C\d{8,10}$/i',strip(str)) then flag=1;
datalines;
C1
C22
C345
C444
C4567
C12345678
C1234566788
C1111111111
;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation