BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Nikster101
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi there. I want to run a multiple correspondence analysis. I cannot use proc corr as my variables are all categorical. I am using porc corresp but I am unsure of how to generate a scree plot. Below is my code

proc corresp mca data=clean2 dimens=2 outc=newout all;
tables race gender nsfasyn deptname campusname quintile;
run;

What procedure would be better suited for MCA and how do I get a scree plot?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I think this is called the Inertia table (and plot) in SAS PROC CORRESP. Please take a look and see if that's what you are looking for.

Also, here's an example where it is calculated https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.4/statug/statug_code_crspex1.htm

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I think this is called the Inertia table (and plot) in SAS PROC CORRESP. Please take a look and see if that's what you are looking for.

Also, here's an example where it is calculated https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.4/statug/statug_code_crspex1.htm

--
Paige Miller
Nikster101
Fluorite | Level 6
It is not quite what I am looking for. The Plot I need is a scree plot similar to that in principal component analysis with the 'elbow'. This was helpful though as I am now getting the inertia table
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Check out @Rick_SAS post here - it might have some guideposts for you:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2017/08/02/retain-principal-components.html

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Nikster101 wrote:
It is not quite what I am looking for. The Plot I need is a scree plot similar to that in principal component analysis with the 'elbow'. This was helpful though as I am now getting the inertia table

Why is it "not quite" what you are looking for? It seems to me to be exactly what you are looking for.

--
Paige Miller
Nikster101
Fluorite | Level 6

Well I need a plot like this, 

PCAbrokenstiick2.png

i.e. A scree plot. I am not unsure of how to generate this plot in the proc corresp function.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

That's exactly what they give you; except they use bars to represent the value instead of a series of lines to represent the value.

--
Paige Miller
Nikster101
Fluorite | Level 6
Yes I understand that, I was just wanting to know if getting an plot representation of it was possible.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

So form over function? If it isn't a line plot, you can't use it? Even if the information is the same?

There is nothing stopping you from plotting it yourself using PROC SGPLOT and then it can look exactly the way you want it to look.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation