BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
serrld113
Obsidian | Level 7

I need to find all the SAS files in all the sub-directories in a drive and save them into a macro variable that I can use outside the macro. I found this example below that prints the names of all the files of said directory into the log. I know that it saves them locally into &name, but I need to use name outside this macro. I tried changing %local to %global and the macro ran forever. I also tried saving name into another variable within the macro but also failed. I'd much rather save these file names into a table, but a macro variable will also work. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using the following macro that I found here:

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=mcrolref&docsetTarget=n0js70lrkxo6uvn1fl4a5aafnlgt.htm&docse...

This is it below:

%macro list_files(dir,ext);
%local filrf rc did memcnt name i;
%let rc=%sysfunc(filename(filrf,&dir));
%let did=%sysfunc(dopen(&filrf));

%if &did eq 0 %then %do; 
%put Directory &dir cannot be open or does not exist;
%return;
%end;

%do i = 1 %to %sysfunc(dnum(&did));

%let name=%qsysfunc(dread(&did,&i));

%if %qupcase(%qscan(&name,-1,.)) = %upcase(&ext) %then %do;
%put &dir\&name;
%end;
%else %if %qscan(&name,2,.) = %then %do; 
%list_files(&dir\&name,&ext)
%end;

%end;
%let rc=%sysfunc(dclose(&did));
%let rc=%sysfunc(filename(filrf));

%mend list_files;
%list_files(c:\temp,sas);
9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have a somewhat different macro that saves the results in a SAS data set. From there, you can do whatever you want with the data set.

%macro list_files(dir=,outdsn=files,all_subdirs=N);
data _null_;
	if upcase("&all_subdirs")='N' then call symputx('str',cat("'dir ",'"',"%trim(&dir)"" /b'"));
	else if upcase("&all_subdirs")='Y' then call symputx('str',cat("'dir ",'"',"%trim(&dir)"" /b /s'"));
run;
filename tmp pipe &str;
data &outdsn;
  infile tmp dlm="¬" missover;
  input filenames :$200.;
run;
%mend;

(Works only on Windows) 

--
Paige Miller
serrld113
Obsidian | Level 7
I really appreciate this, but it didn't output a dataset for me. I added my directory path and changed all_subdirs = "Y"
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@serrld113 wrote:
I really appreciate this, but it didn't output a dataset for me. I added my directory path and changed all_subdirs = "Y"

Works for me.

Note: for your own benefit, as well as the benefit of others, it is never sufficient to say something didn't work and provide no additional information. If it didn't work, give us details about what you did and what happened. Otherwise, the conversation goes "didn't work" "works for me" "doesn't work for me" "works fine for me"

--
Paige Miller
serrld113
Obsidian | Level 7
I apologize. In my reply I included that I've added my directory as well as changed the option for all_subdirs to Y. I've also tried my directory between quotation marks and without. Thanks again.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

We need to see your code, or the log, or both. That's the only way to figure out what happens when code doesn't work.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

I don't know about your system but I have some project that if the paths are kept in the values with the filename then the length of single macro variable would be exceeded.

Plus are your paths and file names really clean, like no spaces or odd characters in the folder or file names?

If not, then you might have some fun using such an ugly variable.

Anything that can be done with macro variable and much more can be done with values in a data set. I would, for any purpose I can envision using such, go with @PaigeMiller's suggestion.

serrld113
Obsidian | Level 7
I added that I prefer a data set over a macro variable.
serrld113
Obsidian | Level 7

The one thing that kinda works is adding a data step after the %put statement in my original post. However, it will only output the last SAS file the loop finds. I was wondering if there was a dynamic way to keep adding to the variable as the loop runs. 

%if %qupcase(%qscan(&name,-1,.)) = %upcase(&ext) %then %do;
			%put &dir\&name;

/* this is the part I add */ data files; filenames = "&dir\&name"; run; %end;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Don't put the file names into macro variables. Put them into a dataset.  A macro variable has a maxium length of 64K.  Even a moderate number of names could easily overflow that limit.

There is a great idea for doing the recursion into the subdirectories by using the MODIFY statement in a data step posted in this thread: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/listing-all-files-within-a-directory-and-subdirectori...

Here is an example.  First create a dataset with the structure you want and one observation for each top level directory you want to read.

data filelist;
  length root filename $256 dir level 8;
  input root;
  retain filename ' ' level 0 dir 1;
cards4;
c:\temp
;;;;

Now run this data step to scan all of the files in the directory(s).

data filelist;
  modify filelist;
  rc1=filename('tmp',catx('\',root,filename));
  rc2=dopen('tmp');
  dir = not not rc2;
  replace;
  if dir;
  level=level+1;
  filename0=filename;
  do i=1 to dnum(rc2);
    filename=catx('\',filename0,dread(rc2,i));
    output;
  end;
  rc3=dclose(rc2);
run;

If you want to limit to files with a particular extension it is probably easier after you have the dataset already.

proc print data=filelist;
  where filename like '%.sas7bdat';
run;

Results

Obs     root      filename               dir    level

4     c:\temp    one.sas7bdat            0       1
 6     c:\temp    two.sas7bdat            0       1
 7     c:\temp    sub1\three.sas7bdat     0       2

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation