BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
EyalGonen
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Looking for benchmarks/recommendation/best practice on how to update a large SPDE table with some update dataset by some common key.

Approaches can be SQL Update, Data Step Modify, Data Step Update, or perhaps other methods.

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I can't offer any benchmark data, but my take is that SPDE is designed for "bulk loading", appends/insert is usually relatively fast. SQL DELETE FROM was a performance killer (but that might have changed, this was a few years ago).

What is the purpose of the benchmark?

You want to try different update methods, and compare with what?

I would set up in the same/similar environment corresponding test case using Base SAS, and potential an external DB if that is appropriate.

External bench mark figures is problematic, because there are a lot of things that affects performance, like data model, size, kind of operations, concurrent operations, host, disks, network etc etc.

Data never sleeps
EyalGonen
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am specifically interested to know which method is the fastest to update (update existing records) a large SPDE table with some smaller update table by some common key. I am aware of several options like PROC SQL, Data Step modify, Data Step Update, etc. but not sure which will give the best performance.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
My best advice is to set up your own benchmark test, using production like data and environment, and some different relveant update scenarios.
And again, consider compare with corresponding Base/DB options as well.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation