BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
megan2
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a large dataset (n= 78,000) and am trying to run a hierarchical regression, controlling for multiple variables. I am new to using SAS and I am having difficulty getting SAS to run the regression reading all four levels of the province data that I have. The class level information from the results indicates it is only reading "Ontario's" data, and not the other 3 (AB, BC, QC) provinces. Other analysis I have run, have read each level of data fine. 

This is the code I am using:

proc glimmix data=work.combined;
CLASS approach province income enrolment urban CANNABIS_FREQ BINGE_DRINKING WEEKLY_SPENDING
SMOKING_STATUS;
MODEL CANNABIS_FREQ = SEX3 GRADE GETHNCL1 GETHNCC1 GETHNCN1 GETHNCA1 GETHNCH1
GETHNCM1 SMOKING_STATUS BINGE_DRINKING WEEKLY_SPENDING / SOLUTION;
RANDOM CANNABIS_FREQ / SUBJECT=approach SOLUTION;
run; 

and I attached my results output. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 3.22.27 PM.png

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It's not clear you can "fix" missings. You can substitute some number for these missing, there's a lot of literature on how to do this, and also SAS has PROC MI. If the missings are all in a single column (you'd have to look to see if that is the case), then you could delete that variable from the model in PROC GLIMMIX.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Some possibilities:

1. The data set only has ON data. Do a PROC FREQ on work.combined and show us the results
  2. The data set has complete non-missing data only for ON. The other three provinces have missing data somewhere on every observation.

Side comment: income is really a class variable? Enrollment is a class variable? This may cause problems somewhere along the line, although probably not the problem you mentioned about province.

--
Paige Miller
megan2
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your response and the side notes to consider. 

This is the result I have after running a procfreq: Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 3.38.40 PM.png

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

What about the missing values for the other provinces? You need to check that as well.

Is there a message in the LOG from PROC GLIMMIX about missing values?

--
Paige Miller
megan2
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your response. 

The message in log is: 

NOTE: Some observations are not used in the analysis because of: missing fixed effects (n=68756), missing subject effects (n=1204).
NOTE: The GLIMMIX procedure is modeling the probabilities of levels of CANNABIS_FREQ having lower Ordered Values in the Response
Profile table.
NOTE: Convergence criterion (PCONV=1.11022E-8) satisfied.
NOTE: PROCEDURE GLIMMIX used (Total process time):
real time 0.63 seconds
cpu time 0.56 seconds

How would I go about fixing the missing data? 

Reeza
Super User
You can't fix your missing data. Basically if you run a proc means on your data perhaps there's only a measurement that's collected in Ontario?

proc means data=combined;
class province;
var _numeric_;
run;

proc freq data=combined;
table province*_character_;
run;

One of those will show you which variable is missing for all provinces except Ontario.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It's not clear you can "fix" missings. You can substitute some number for these missing, there's a lot of literature on how to do this, and also SAS has PROC MI. If the missings are all in a single column (you'd have to look to see if that is the case), then you could delete that variable from the model in PROC GLIMMIX.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation