BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@ChrisNZ wrote:

> Do you have a sample OLEDB connection libname statement to MS SQL server?

Sorry I don't

https://www.connectionstrings.com/

https://www.connectionstrings.com/sql-server/

https://www.connectionstrings.com/sql-server-native-client-11-0-oledb-provider/

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

> I haven't been able to get SAS to consistently write standard code ( I know macro variables and other functions can lead to abnormal code which I often advise folks not to use when talking to SQL).

What is standard code?

SAS does not write code (except for the implicit pass-through optimisations) and macros do no write code either.

Macros don't write abnormal code. This sentence has no meaning as stated.

I see that you found a way to do what you needed:

data SAS.MYNEWTABLE (BULKLOAD=YES BL_RECOVERABLE=NO DBCOMMIT=300000 INSERTBUFF=32767 UPDATE_LOCK_TYPE=TABLE READ_LOCK_TYPE=TABLE); 
  set MYSASDATA;
run;

Well done for finding, testing and implementing these options.

What is the issue now? Is it that you'd like these option to be part of the default libname setting?

Note that proc copy or proc append are faster than a data step for simply copying tables.

Also note that the table creation can be accelerated by setting larger values for options BUFNO and BUFSIZE, and possibly by using Windows's SGIO, if disk I/O is the culprit.

ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
SELECT

A,B , SUM(PAID) AS PAID

FROM X

WHERE A between 2000 and 3000

GROUP BY

A,B

As others have said, use explicit pass through (esp. if you don't use SAS much).  With explicit pass through, SAS is just a client to SQL Server, analogous to Powershell, .Net, SSMS, Toad, etc.  IOW, it's just passing SQL to your RDBMS (SQL Server).  You could submit the same query via Powershell (Invoke-Sqlcmd) and return the data to the console (say to pipe to ConvertT-Csv)

As to your query, what I think is happening is, SUM() is both a SAS and SQL Server function.  If a SAS implicit pass through query contains a SAS function, formats, etc, a more generic query is sent to the RDBMS, then SAS does the aggregation.

I would write your query as explicit pass through as follows:

* set desired SAS options ;
options sastrace=',,,d' sastraceloc=saslog nostsuffix;
options dbidirectexec;
options msglevel=I;
options fullstimer;

* allocate SQL Server libraries ;
%libname_sqlsvr(libref=FOO,server=MY_SS_SERVER,port=,database=my_database,schema=dbo)

proc sql;
   connect using foo;
   create table blah as
   select *
   from connection to foo (
SELECT A
      ,B
      ,SUM(PAID) AS PAID
  FROM X
 WHERE A between 2000 and 3000
GROUP BY
       A
      ,B
   );
quit;

Debug your query in SQL Server Management Studio.  The explicit pass through should then have similar performance as via SSMS, barring the network traffic to send the aggregated data back to SAS to create the data set.  And hopefully that aggregation is "small".

I see you have Access to ODBC and Access to OLEDB.  We use ODBC; if you want to use it (or at least try it) as well, perhaps this may help:  https://github.com/scottbass/SAS/blob/master/Macro/libname_sqlsvr.sas

That macro may get you started, otherwise hit the doc for either ODBC or OLEDB.

Hope this helps...

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
jroe
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for the feeback! Is your example pass through sql though or just "as clean/normal sql as possible"?

I agree when I coach folks to not use variables or sas specific stuff their code runs better (it usually rewrites the query better once it hits ms sql"). Thanks!
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @jroe 

It is proper SQL. Everything you write in the connection to xxx ( <sql-code> ); construct is just passed to SQL. So a query copied from Microsoft SQL Server manager will work, as shown in the following example:

LIBNAME xmanbmf ODBC  IGNORE_READ_ONLY_COLUMNS=YES  DATAsrc=EXT_Manuel_BMF  SCHEMA=dbo ;
proc sql;
	connect using xmanbmf as myconnect;
	create table work.blah as
		select *
			from connection to myconnect (

SELECT TOP (1000) [SysID]
,[jobstatus]
,[jobstatus_tekst]
FROM [DWH_MAN_BMF].[dbo].[sd_jobstatus]

);
	disconnect from myconnect;
quit;

You are not limited to queries, where you use the result as input to SAS. Any SQL command can be passed using the execute ( <sql-code> ) by xxx; construct as shown:

LIBNAME xmanbmf ODBC  IGNORE_READ_ONLY_COLUMNS=YES  DATAsrc=EXT_Manuel_BMF  SCHEMA=dbo ;
proc sql;
	execute (

CREATE TABLE [DWH_MAN_BMF].[dbo].[test2_jobstatus](
	[SysID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
	[jobstatus] [char](1) NULL,
	[jobstatus_tekst] [varchar](60) NULL
)

) by myconnect;
quit;

ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@ErikLund_Jensen wrote:

Hi @jroe 

It is proper SQL. Everything you write in the connection to xxx ( <sql-code> ); construct is just passed to SQL. So a query copied from Microsoft SQL Server manager will work, as shown in the following example:

proc sql;
	create table work.blah as
		select *
			from connection to myconnect (

SELECT TOP (1000) [SysID]
,[jobstatus]
,[jobstatus_tekst]
FROM [DWH_MAN_BMF].[dbo].[sd_jobstatus]

);
quit;

You are not limited to queries, where you use the result as input to SAS. Any SQL command can be passed using the execute ( <sql-code> ) by xxx; construct as shown:

proc sql;
	execute (

)

) by myconnect;
quit;

As a very minor tip:  I found the below syntax by accident, it's not illustrated in the doc.  I find it easier to prevent typos in the connection name:

proc sql;
	execute by myconnect (

)

);  /* put the "by myconnect" after execute, not after the final parentheses */
quit;

As I said, minor but HTH...

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

>I agree when I coach folks to not use variables or sas specific stuff their code runs better (it usually rewrites the query better once it hits ms sql"). 

SAS-specific syntax can vastly improve performance in SAS just as T-SQL-specific features can do the same in SQL Server.

They are both useful and ruling out some elements of a language is counter-productive.

That's why the very useful option to use explicit pass-through exists: to run native code on the appropriate platform as needed.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I am not sure I understand your point.  In SQL code you just describe what output set you want to create. It is up the the implementer (the database that is accepting the SQL) to do any needed optimizations.  It can be very tricky.  Queries that work great in Oracle might cause havoc in Teradata and the reverse.

JroeJroe
Obsidian | Level 7

I still see a high amount of MS SQL wait types of ASYNC_NETWORK_IO (SAS reads data slower than SQL sends it), it would be great to find a way to reduce this wait type, I have tried mulitple drivers, hints, options, libname tweaks etc without success. It primarily happens when SAS runs data "single threaded" instead of parallel processing, primarily when pulling back fields without a complex where/group by clause (that triggers the code to run on the server then pull back the summary). I would love this wait type to go away, it only occurs when SAS communicates to sql. 

https://www.sqlshack.com/reducing-sql-server-async_network_io-wait-type/

The server is enterprise with 768GB of ram and 24 cores (xeon), it can read/write at 2000MBs+. Often users are pulling data down to their slower local drives into sas, which it can help if a "summary is ran against sql" instead of reproducing tables locally. 

A few tips that I have passed on to others:

a. if your joining a table that exists in SAS to SQL, that table doesnt exist in SQL so SAS will "select the columns needed and pull them back to sas then join", so they could add the table to sql if needed (and index it) or index their table in sas

b. remove "SAS" code that doesnt exist in sql (macro variables, certain functions etc)

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You should probably ask SAS support about the ASYNC_NETWORK_IO waits.

Are you using SAS/Access SQL server? 

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=acreldb&docsetTarget=p0378ek9nfsu5bn1cpsc8woi6qjf.htm&docset...

Or cobbling something together using ODBC?

If you want to get multi-threaded I/O you will probably have better luck using the SAS product. But ask SAS about it before paying for it. (or see if they will let you use it on a trail basis.)

JroeJroe
Obsidian | Level 7

odbc libname.

any plugin you are referencing?

For Base SAS Software ...
Custom version information: 9.4_M6

For SAS/STAT ...
Custom version information: 15.1
For SAS/GRAPH ...
For SAS/CONNECT ...
For High Performance Suite ...
Custom version information: 2.2_M7
For SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files ...
For SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC ...
NOTE: PROCEDURE PRODUCT_STATUS used

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Does not looks like you have it. At least it is not installed.

Talk to your SAS Sales Rep about whether it would help and how to get it.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

It seems from what you describe that the SAS end has much slower drives, which would explain all the waiting, no?

JroeJroe
Obsidian | Level 7
That is partially it (local desktop or network share vs SQL on optimized SAN), also the latency of transferring data over the network. However SAS also appears to process incoming data slower (possibly due to packet size differences) and is unable to keep up with the packets (network sync wait type).

It is also odd that when the query is observed in MS SQL it is single threaded, the same query ran directly in sql would be parallel threaded.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Mmm interesting.

Maybe setting option TCPMSGLEN can help.

It is documented against SAS/SHARE and SAS/CONNECT only, but since it sets TCP buffer, it may well impact SAS/ACCESS as well.

Are you using ODBC or native access on the SAS client?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 19 likes
  • 8 in conversation