BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
nbwest76
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm trying to put together a SAS macro that will check each subfolder within a directory and import the Excel spreadsheets if they exist.

The directory path is structured by the current month name and year. I am able to define that with the %curr_month_path macro variables below, so I'm good there.

%let dt = today();
%let folder_path = 'c:\My Folder';
%let curr_month_name = strip(put(&dt, monname.));
%let curr_month_year = year(&dt);
%let curr_month_path = catx('\', &folder_path, catx(' ', &curr_month_name, &curr_month_year));

Within the monthly folder/directory, there are individual subfolders for each day of the month example: "4 1 2023", "4 2 2023" etc. and within each of the daily folders there are a possibility of containing two Excel files.

I'd like to loop through each of the subfolders to check to see if a an .xlsx file that starts with the word "Invoice" exists and then import that file.

At it's simplest form, I do have a macro below that will import one of the spreadsheets for reference, I would just need to dynamically check each folder to import the files.

%macro nw;
   proc import out=t_import(rename=("Source Case #"n=case_number) keep="Source Case #"n)
   datafile="c:\My Folder\Invoice File 123.xlsx"
   dbms=xlsx
   replace;
 run;
%mend nw;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User
/*
Assuming you are using Windows OS
and could invoke OS command via SAS.
*/
%let dir=  c:\temp  ;

options validmemname=extend;
filename x pipe %sysfunc(quote(dir "&dir\*.xlsx" /s /b));
data _null_;
infile x ;
input ;
call execute(catt('proc import datafile="',_infile_,'" 
 out=',compress(scan(_infile_,-2,'\.'),,'kda'),' dbms=xlsx replace;run;' ));
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Here's a macro that will scan a directory (and subdirectories) and list the files. Use that instead to list all the files and then you have the path and filenames. 

Parse that output to get a list of files you want to import. 

Then you can import each file using the macro you wrote or dynamically using call execute, or a combination. 

https://github.com/sasutils/macros/blob/master/dirtree.sas

Probably more efficient if this isn't actually all under My Folder and in a separate directory where you'll have less false positives. 

Ksharp
Super User
/*
Assuming you are using Windows OS
and could invoke OS command via SAS.
*/
%let dir=  c:\temp  ;

options validmemname=extend;
filename x pipe %sysfunc(quote(dir "&dir\*.xlsx" /s /b));
data _null_;
infile x ;
input ;
call execute(catt('proc import datafile="',_infile_,'" 
 out=',compress(scan(_infile_,-2,'\.'),,'kda'),' dbms=xlsx replace;run;' ));
run;
nbwest76
Fluorite | Level 6
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation