BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MattWork
Calcite | Level 5

As a former programmer and current SAS user, I find the UI of SAS very basic and unconfigurable for my liking. I would love to be able to run SAS code the same way in another popular code editor such as VS Code. There are some plugins for recognizing and auto-filling syntax, which is good but not enough. The problem comes down to running bits of SAS code for smaller tasks and entire SAS files for big tasks, I am less certain how to implement this in VS Code, I know VS Code uses configuration files like tasks.json that could be helpful, but I am less familiar with how to set these up. I was hoping that you could provide a guide on how to run SAS code on an external editor (VS code in my case) for SAS (9.4 Foundation in my case) installed locally. Even better, if you could develop a plugin for VS Code that would be amazing!

3 REPLIES 3
AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

As @SASKiwi mentions, we've built a plugin for VS Code that currently allows you to highlight and run, or run an entire program in Viya.

We plan to extend support to SAS 9 EBI and Base SAS soon.

In the meantime you have two further options for running code:

1.  Use the SASjs CLI in terminal - https://cli.sasjs.io/run/
2.  Use the editor in SASjs Server (a REST API and Studio editor over Foundation SAS) - https://github.com/sasjs/server

If you need help setting up, feel free to send a private message.

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation