BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vfarmak
Quartz | Level 8

Greeting everyone,

I  encounter the following problem:

I have a MongoDB database which reads the data through CData driver. The driver works fine and stores json arrays in SAS Dataset. By default the maximum number of characters that a character column accepts is 2000. Is there any configuration in which I could increase the number of characters stored in the column?

The version of SAS DI that I am using is the following:

Version: 4.904

Thank you in advance,

Vasilios

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

This is a CData question, not  SAS question.

Their documentation states

DefaultColumnSize Sets the default length of string fields when the data source does not provide column length in the metadata. The default value is 2000.

Look there to see how to configure that driver. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Your process is unclear. Do your MongoDB fields contain JSON strings?

vfarmak
Quartz | Level 8

@ChrisNZ Yes, since MongoDB is a document database it contains json strings.

To clarify in more detail, we store json strings that are read from mongodb through a driver (CData Driver) in sas datasets via SAS DI.

Columns that contain array of documents however are being stored in SAS datasets and are not "flattened". The driver reads the json documents and assigns them in columns that have length 2000 size.

The question is whether we could increase the size of the columns or not.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

This is a CData question, not  SAS question.

Their documentation states

DefaultColumnSize Sets the default length of string fields when the data source does not provide column length in the metadata. The default value is 2000.

Look there to see how to configure that driver. 

vfarmak
Quartz | Level 8
@ChrisNZ Indeed this is stated in the site.
I couldn't find the setting and I have contacted them. They stated that there is a field in the setting of the driver that I should declare the setting explicitly.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Send a screenshot of the settings if you can, or the text of the tech support explanations, so the next person who encounters the issue can fix it.

vfarmak
Quartz | Level 8

vfarmak_0-1607979557901.png

@ChrisNZ As you can see in the screenshot, in the Misc section of the driver, you have to set the DefaultColumnSize equal to 8000. 

However, they suggested me to download another version of the driver (since the manual restart of DI or the re-execution of the ODBC Data Source did not came in handy). I haven't tried it yet (we need to perform that change in an isolated environment and not in production).

For the record, they proposed me this version of the program which can be found in the below Url:

http://cdatabuilds.s3.amazonaws.com/support/DGDF-A_7649.exe

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

"By default the maximum number of characters that a character column accepts is 2000"

Where have you discovered hgtis?

Pretty sure that SAS DI don't have any limitations at this size.

When you say it works fine and it's stored in a SAS dataset, does this dataset have appriopriate char lengths?

Please share more details on this connection and how you integrate using DI Studio.

Data never sleeps
vfarmak
Quartz | Level 8

@LinusH I have observed this through the sas datasets that the driver creates. So I was wondering if there is configuration that could actual increase the size of the columns in SAS DI.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation