BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fdsaaaa
Obsidian | Level 7

I have some code that is working , but I wonder why I don't need an explicit commit statement (which would be required in Oracle)

e.g

proc sql;
connect to oracle (server=myserver user=myuserid pw=mypass );
  execute(
insert into myuserid.mytable
(mycol)
select '1' as mycol from dual
)
) by oracle; quit;

This code inserts the data into the correct table without an explicit commit .

Why do I not need a commit? is this controlled by an option somewhere ?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
r_behata
Barite | Level 11

Try :

proc sql;
connect to oracle (server=myserver user=myuserid pw=mypass );
  execute(  insert into myuserid.mytable   (mycol)  select '1' as mycol from dual  )  ) by oracle;

execute ( COMMIT) by oracle;

DISCONNECT from Oracle;
quit;
fdsaaaa
Obsidian | Level 7

thanks, yes I know this works when you explicitly add a commit statement .

My question is why do you get the same result even if you do not have a commit statement?

in Oracle with an insert statement you need have a commit statement afterwards for the changes to be visible to other users .

As I am passing native oracle SQL in the execute statement, I would have expected that I needed to pass an explicit commit statement - but I do not . 

I would like to know if this is always the case, and I never need to pass a commit statement, or whether there is some option or similar somewhere that controls this behavior.

thanks

fdsaaaa
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, These are libname options, so they are not set as I am not using a libname . 

I have searched for similar in the system options but have not been able to find anything.  

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation