BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
leackell13
Fluorite | Level 6

I imported an Excel file into SAS Studio. It read the date variables as character variables with a length of 5. For example, the first 3 data points of variable DOB are: 8/3/1957, 2/28/1971, and 10/18/1950. When I imported the file, they read as 21035, 25992, and 18554, respectively. So I changed the variable length and type:

DATA SubQ.dataclean2;

LENGTH DOB $10.;

SET SubQ.confounding;
format date_var mmddyy10.; /* Change dates from character to date values */
date_var = input(DOB,mmddyy10.);
DROP DOB;
RENAME date_var=DOB;
RUN;

This successfully changed the variable length and type, but those 3 same points are shown as 02/10/1935, ., and ., respectively. Why? Does it have to do with how the dates are written in the Excel file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

they read as 21035, 25992, and 18554

the conversion from Excel requires this:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Tips-from-the-Community/SAS-Tip-Conversion-from-Excel-Date-to-SAS...

So if you do that conversion, and then format the result as DATE9. (or whatever format you would like to use) you will get the correct date.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

they read as 21035, 25992, and 18554

the conversion from Excel requires this:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Tips-from-the-Community/SAS-Tip-Conversion-from-Excel-Date-to-SAS...

So if you do that conversion, and then format the result as DATE9. (or whatever format you would like to use) you will get the correct date.

--
Paige Miller
leackell13
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I had some trouble implementing this solution, and I found it easier just to delete the "N/As" indicating missing values from the Excel file before importing it to SAS, but your solution might help someone with a similar issue.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Looks like SAS is not recognised DOB as a date to begin with. Try changing the column type in Excel to date and import it again.

leackell13
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for the suggestion, but I had tried this earlier, and it didn't work.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation