BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Why do you ran that in synchronous mode switch it to asynchronous mode.  "Options noconnectwait ; " SAS/CONNECT(R) 9.2 User's Guide Using the spawner (unix-servers BPXAS address space) with all advantages.  The effect will be there is No polling to you desktop and the detached process will run until it is ready. Then it can verify the existence of your machine at the end. It is possible  the system  will detect the tcp-ip session got broken because no traffic is seen.
Better leave your machine on and running. Hoping routers will not kill your session. When that happens you need a newer SAS release supporting the session keep alive option

Multitasking....   

It is something of the big promoted advantages when moving from DOS 3.3 trying to run OS/2 session-manager dialogmanager NT. You are better of with W7. 

---->-- ja karman --<-----
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Jaap:

Unfortunately, it is the task that is run by the Spawner that is the issue as per 40451 - Enabling the use of authorized TSO commands for SAS® 9.2 spawners in the z/OS operating envi...

The environment that Warren is talking about I set up about 10 years ago and I know that it is not running the authorized UNIX command so he is boned there.

Hopefully, using a TN3270 - type session will work for him as well as it works for us.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

About 10 years ago I had to run a lot of jobs to transform some old mainframe SAS data.

I was able to generate the jobs and submit them to the system using an FTP interface to the JOB stream.

It was like using a card deck from the 80's, only instead of physical cards I used SAS to punch the cards

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

OS/2 that is along time ago indeed. If he is using a SAS/connect session and has started that by the TN3270 method. My remarks about synchronous/asynchronous still holds.
The TN3270 method is starting almost the same as using the Spawner.  It replies with a portnumber line mode in the screen to be captured by sas. After that it is port/port communication.
10 yrs that was the time IBM used the TCP/IP stack delivered by SAS. The WSA (Work Station Agent) in TSO was an attempt of IBM to run TSO client/server using that.  

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi:

The way things were working there, I doubt that there have been any changes to the Spawner since first installed.  We have been using

the TN3270 connection where I am now for the past 8 years because the mainframe people would not install a Spawner no matter how much

we begged them.  Finally got it last this past November and found this issue with submitting batch jobs to the mainframe.  Now we have to

retain the TN3270 session for the batch jobs and the Spawner for just about everything else.  One step at a time.....

Warren
Obsidian | Level 7

I've found 'MVS Job Scheduling from a PC' in 'Scotiabank Live' and tested it.  It works!.  You can try it out.  The userid and password are the TSO id and password.  TOTGXUGG.TXT should contain the JCL you want to run.

Thanks,
Warren
filename mfsubmit ftp "<userid>" user= "<userid>" pass="<password>"
     host="TCPIP30.SYSPLEX.BNS" rcmd='site rdw filetype=jes';
filename code "C:\PROJECTS\TOOL\TOTGXUGG.TXT";
     data _null_;
     file mfsubmit;
     infile code;
     input;

put _infile_;

run;

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Warren:

That's great! I'm glad it is working.  I can't run it because I am not with BNS any more, but it is likely that I wrote

it in the first place while I was there.

Glad to be of help.

You wouldn't happen to be at 2201, would you?

Warren
Obsidian | Level 7

No, I'm at 100.

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Ok- you can't be the Warren I know.  I'm over on the other side of 44 king at another big red bank....

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Warren OS2rules and those mainframe guys let your run a remote connection the JES2 (that is how that gets connected) without any encryption (SSL)?

wow that is far behind requirements of this time.  Both being at a banking/financial.... unbelievable...

Managed file-transfers (MFT) and encryption of all data were hot topics as of SOX-404 BCBS239 (Basel lII) and more of those. What happened there?  

If you are able to define JCL (JEs2) and are allowed to use/allocate an intrdr (internal reader). Than you can also send jobs to the system that way.     

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Jaap - Warren:

This is why I would recommend that he use a TN3270 type connection and submit code from a PDS directly to the internal reader

rather than transmit the code across an unencrypted line.  Even then, the sign-on credentials for the TN3270 connection are sent

in clear text.

The only way I know of to effectively secure the connection is under 9.4 where the transmission is encrypted by default with AES-128

encryption.

I would suggest that the FTP of the code (even if it is just JCL) should be the last thing to do if all else fails.  And Warren should get

security to have a peek at what he is doing to make sure they won't have a fit.

Also - Warren - why don't you just schedule the job on the mainframe?  The code seems to live there - just add the job to the

schedule and you are good to go.

Warren
Obsidian | Level 7

This is not a production job, but I run it weekly.  Do you know how I can schedule a weekly non-production job in mainframe?  Thanks.  -- Warren

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation