BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lakshayvohra
Calcite | Level 5

In my organization some of the teams are working on Teradata while some are working on SAS depending on client requirement. I work on SAS but sometimes we need to replicate processes which are setup in Teradata(by other teams) to SAS.

Initially I thought that I could simply take the Teradata code and paste it in a proc sql step and it would work. However, a lot of functions which work in Teradata are not compatible with proc sql. So usually I replicate those steps in SAS by rewriting the code. This takes a lot of time.

I was wondering if there is a method by which I can directly call a Teradata code (saved in an SQL file) from SAS such that it runs in Teradata and the results get exported as a SAS dataset. This would eliminate the need to replicate the SQL codes in SAS.

I already have a code setup through which I connect to the teradata server and then i simply use the tables present there in SAS. It looks something like this:

libname mylib teradata user=testuser password=testpass;

However, I am not able to figure out how I can directly call a SQL code file from SAS such that it runs in Teradata. What I am looking for would involve these steps:

1. Save the Teradata code in an SQL file
  2. Call the file from SAS such that it runs in Teradata
  3. Import the code output to a SAS dataset

It feels that the step three is not directly possible so thought maybe I could do it in two steps - export the Teradata outputs to excel and then import the excel to SAS using proc import. I looked on the internet and found some functions like bteq export etc. but I am not able to put everything together.

2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can use pass through SQL code in SAS.  So assuming you have already made the libref MYLIB the basic syntax is to either pull the results of a query.  Or execute a statement.

proc sql;
connection using mylib ;
create table work.test as select * from connection to mylib
( .... teradata select statement goes here ....)
;
execute 
( .... teradata statement goes here ....)
by mylib;
quit;
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you really want to call a seperate program, try %include within the SQL pass through block as shown by @Tom. (untested)

IN the long, I don't think it's good practice to separate those elements since you can't see in your SAS program what the Teradata SQL returns.

Data never sleeps

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation