BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AJChamberlain
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone

I have a dataset in SAS with variables Var1 Var2 and Var3, Var1 is A or B Var2 is X or Y and for each combination of these I count the number of instances of Var 3. So this dataset:

Var1Var2Var3
AX1
AY1
AX1
AX1
BX1
BX1
BY1
BY1

Produces this summary:

X                   Y

A31
B22

but when there are no instances of some combinations I still want to report a null result as zero for all combinations, so for example this dataset:

Var1Var2Var3
AX1
AY1
AX1
AX1
AX1
AX1
AY1
AY1

produces this:

X                Y

A53

where I want it to produce this:

XY
A53
B00

I'm using proc SQL to count my instances, but I need some way of telling the system to look out for all combinations of Var1 and Var2 and return 0 where they don't exist. Can anyone tell me how I might do this?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@AJChamberlain wrote:

Hi everyone

but when there are no instances of some combinations I still want to report a null result as zero for all combinations, so for example this dataset:

Are you looking for a dataset (used by other parts of a program0 or a report (people read these)?

Do you know all the values that Var1 and Var2 will have? Then perhaps a format for the var1 and the option Preloadfmt

proc format library=work;
value $v
'A'='A'
'B'='B'
;
run;
data have;
input Var1 $ Var2 $ Var3 ;
datalines;
A X 1 
A Y 1 
A X 1 
A X 1 
A X 1 
A X 1 
A Y 1 
A Y 1 
;
run;

proc tabulate data=have;
   class var1 /preloadfmt;
   format var1 $v.;
   class var2;
   var var3;
   table var1,
         var2*var3=''*n=''
         /printmiss
   ;
run;

Proc means/summary will do similar for a data set though you need to add options completetypes and missing to the proc statement.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Is your data representable of your actual problem? I.e, do you only have the two categories A and B to worry about, or do you have more?

Perhaps the approaches in this thread may be of help

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/PROC-FREQ-Include-Zero-Counts/td-p/325505

ballardw
Super User

@AJChamberlain wrote:

Hi everyone

Are you looking for a dataset (used by other parts of a program0 or a report (people read these)?

Do you know all the values that Var1 and Var2 will have? Then perhaps a format for the var1 and the option Preloadfmt

proc format library=work;
value $v
'A'='A'
'B'='B'
;
run;
data have;
input Var1 $ Var2 $ Var3 ;
datalines;
A X 1 
A Y 1 
A X 1 
A X 1 
A X 1 
A X 1 
A Y 1 
A Y 1 
;
run;

proc tabulate data=have;
   class var1 /preloadfmt;
   format var1 $v.;
   class var2;
   var var3;
   table var1,
         var2*var3=''*n=''
         /printmiss
   ;
run;

Proc means/summary will do similar for a data set though you need to add options completetypes and missing to the proc statement.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation