BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Paakay
Calcite | Level 5

Hello All,

I am writing a code to replace all missing charcters after the last non missing character with the last non missing character by member id but my code replaces all member ids with the first member id's last non missing character . Each member id is in the data 16 times. Can someone help me on how the code should break once it encounters a new member id and use the new member id's last non missing character to populate all missing characters after the last non-missing character ? I tried the code below by doesn't work. I want to replace the missing characters after the last non missing character with the last non missing character. For example for id 1, missing character after 2019 quarter 1 will have 'abc'. For id 2, missing character after 2018, 4th quarter will have 'ghi' .Snippet of my code is below but it doesn't work.. Your help is appreciated

Data want;
input ID FY Qtr Missing_Char $3.
datalines;
1 2018 1 ''
1 2018 2  ''
1 2018 3 ''
1 2018 4 ''
1 2019 1 abc
1 2019 2 ''
1 2019 3 ''
2 2018 1 abc
2 2018 2 ''
2 2018 3 def
2 2018 4 ghi
2 2019 1 ''
2 2019 2 ''
2 2019 3 ''
3 2019 4 ''
;
run

Data chk; set want; by id ; retain missing_char; if not missing(missing_char) then _missing_char=missing_char; else missing_char=_missing_char; _drop missing_char; run;

1 REPLY 1
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Well first you need to identify the last quarter with a value for each ID.

data LAST;
  set HAVE;
  where CHAR ne '..';
  by ID YEAR QUARTER;
  if last.ID;
 run;

Then you use that information

data WANT;
   length RETAIN $3;
   retain RETAIN;
   merge HAVE LAST(in=LASTVAL);
   by ID YEAR QUARTER;
   if first.ID then RETAIN='   ';
   if LASTVAL then RETAIN=CHAR ;
   else if RETAIN ne ' ' then CHAR=RETAIN;
 run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation