BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
axel_p
Fluorite | Level 6
data WORK.SURVEY;
   infile datalines dsd truncover;
   input NetStation:BEST12. Replicate:BEST12. HardPlastics:BEST12. SoftPlastics:BEST12. PlasticLines:BEST12. Styrofoam:BEST12. Pellets:BEST12. TotalPlastics:BEST12. DriftingWood:BEST12. Pumice:BEST12. Cs:BEST12.;
   format NetStation BEST12. Replicate BEST12. HardPlastics BEST12. SoftPlastics BEST12. PlasticLines BEST12. Styrofoam BEST12. Pellets BEST12. TotalPlastics BEST12. DriftingWood BEST12. Pumice BEST12. Cs BEST12.;
 datalines;
 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 653.5089
 1 2 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 691.9619
 1 3 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 4 566.7916
 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 950.4462
 2 2 3 0 0 0 0 3 3 0 2198.9015
 ;;;;

The subject sounds a bit hazy so let me explain

I have a data set with 5 plastic categories eg hard plastic , soft plastic , pellet , plastic lines, styrofoam with counts of those categories under them. These are grouped under total plastics and a count. Then there is driftwood and count and Pumice and count

All these plastics have been collected at three different instances titled net tow under one net station. 

My task is to create a category 1 , 2, 3 under material_captured with 1 -  total plastics  , 2 - driftwood  and 3- pumice which i can then recode into another variable called substance . the recoding using case is simple .  

What i need help with is getting total plastics , driftwood and pumice under "materials collected" with 1,2,3 assigned and a count displayed for each instance of replicate (net tow) at the net station . 

Attached is a sample of the data set 

Looking forward to hearing from the experts !

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Below implemented how I understand your requirement.

data WORK.SURVEY;
   infile datalines dsd truncover dlm=' ';
   input NetStation:BEST12. Replicate:BEST12. HardPlastics:BEST12. SoftPlastics:BEST12. PlasticLines:BEST12. Styrofoam:BEST12. Pellets:BEST12. TotalPlastics:BEST12. DriftingWood:BEST12. Pumice:BEST12. Cs:BEST12.;
   format NetStation BEST12. Replicate BEST12. HardPlastics BEST12. SoftPlastics BEST12. PlasticLines BEST12. Styrofoam BEST12. Pellets BEST12. TotalPlastics BEST12. DriftingWood BEST12. Pumice BEST12. Cs BEST12.;
 datalines;
;;;;

data want(keep=NetStation Replicate materials_collected count);
  set SURVEY;
  materials_collected='1';
  count=sum(HardPlastics, SoftPlastics, PlasticLines, Styrofoam, Pellets);
  output;
  materials_collected='2';
  count=DriftingWood;
  output;
  materials_collected='3';
  count=Pumice;
  output;
run;

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ballardw
Super User

It is very hard to code from pictures.

Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the {i} icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

It appears to me that what you may want to do is use a data step to create a new variable with something like

TotalPlastics = sum(Hardplastics, softplastics, plasticlines, Styrofoam, pettets)

If that won't work you really need to provide example of your current SAS data set as "categories under them" doesn't make much sense without an actual example.

axel_p
Fluorite | Level 6

hey ballardw mate , i have edited my post 

hope you can see the data now ! 

Kind Regards

ballardw
Super User

So what is the output for that example data supposed to look like?

axel_p
Fluorite | Level 6

I want the respective counts of total plastics (which is the sum of hard , soft , pellet , line & styrofoam)  , driftwood and pumice to come under one column ( materials collected ) mapped against each replicates ( 1,2 ,3 respectively) for their individual netstations. 

please find attached snip from excel for how it should look like 

my other question is how do i get replicates to repeat 3 times ( total 9 times ) each for each netstation ? 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@axel_p 

"My task is to create a category 1 , 2, 3 under material_captured with 1 -  total plastics  , 2 - driftwood  and 3- pumice "

What value would this variable Material_Captured contain for row 3 in your sample data where you've got HardPlastics and Pumice? 

axel_p
Fluorite | Level 6

please find attached what I want my output to look like

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

You need to explain a bit more how you get from the source data you've posted to the output. 

Can you please use row 3 in your source, show how the output should look like AND explain the logic how you get from source to target state.

axel_p
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Patrick

I want the respective counts of total plastics (which is the sum of hard , soft , pellet , line & styrofoam)  , driftwood and pumice to come under one column ( materials collected ) mapped against each replicates ( 1,2 ,3 respectively) for their individual netstations. 

hope that clarifies !

axel_p
Fluorite | Level 6

I have also attached an excel grab of what i want my output to look like in a previous post ! let me know if there is still some gap between getting from source to target state 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Below implemented how I understand your requirement.

data WORK.SURVEY;
   infile datalines dsd truncover dlm=' ';
 datalines;
;;;;

data want(keep=NetStation Replicate materials_collected count);
  set SURVEY;
  materials_collected='1';
  count=sum(HardPlastics, SoftPlastics, PlasticLines, Styrofoam, Pellets);
  output;
  materials_collected='2';
  count=DriftingWood;
  output;
  materials_collected='3';
  count=Pumice;
  output;
run;
axel_p
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Patrick ! that was amazing 

I have one more question for you if you dont mind 

I need to produce a graph that compares the freq of the new variable substance by nettype that shows the substance 

wondering which sort of a graph would be most appropriate

i tried a 3 way proc freq table which didnt really look good. 

Im thinking more in terms of a vbar for each nettype by substance that has count on the y axis  

Please also find embedded the data set that im referring to 

data WORK.A3;
   infile datalines dsd truncover;
   input Nettype:$23. Substance:$12. count:32.;
 datalines;
 Neuston/ 335/ 1.2 x 0.6 natural 0
 Neuston/ 335/ 1.2 x 0.6 man-made 1
 Neuston/ 335/ 1.2 x 0.6 mixed sample 0
 Neuston/ 335/ 1.2 x 0.6 mixed sample 0
 Neuston/ 335/ 1.2 x 0.6 natural 0
 ;;;;
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@axel_p 

Reporting is not really my home turf. I suggest you post this as a new questions - eventually under "ODS and Base Reporting".

Ideally each discussion addresses one question/topic. You can always post a link to a previous discussion if you feel questions are linked or previous discussions will help to clarify what you're after.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation