BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
zdassu
Quartz | Level 8

Hi I have a table with decimal places, The field is text and I want to remove the decimal places which have no values. See examples below

Current Table       

Field_1

I would like the table to look as per below, your help in this matter is much appreciated

Field_1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User
data have;
input Field_1 $;
want=prxchange('s/\.0+\s*$//',1,field_1);
cards;
;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20
data have;
input Field_1 $;
datalines;
;

data want;
    set have;
    Field_2=put(input(Field_1, best8.), best8. -l);
run;
RM6
Obsidian | Level 7 RM6
Obsidian | Level 7
use strip(put(input(field_1,8.2),best.))
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@RM6 wrote:
use strip(put(input(field_1,8.2),best.))

Your use of the 8.2 informat is not needed and actually dangerous:

data have;
input field1 :$10.;
datalines;
;

data want;
set have;
field2 = strip(put(input(field1,8.2),best.));
run;

Take a close look at the last observation.

8. (or simply best.) is sufficient.

Ksharp
Super User
data have;
input Field_1 $;
want=prxchange('s/\.0+\s*$//',1,field_1);
cards;
;
koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@zdassu You are trying to mix two formats: 1st and 4th row have decimal places while 2nd and 3rd don't have a decimal. For the entire column/variable you will have to settle down to one choice: with or without decimal. I am not sure if you can choose differently for different rows. So either you decide between 8 and 8.2 (without and with 2 decimals respectively) or let SAS decide with best. option.

Either ways, if I am not wrong, all rows have to conform to one standard/format for that particular column. If I am wrong please correct me.

bollurajkumar
Fluorite | Level 6
Treat as numaric and use round function as shown below, if it is character then use input function
data have;
input Field_1 ;
Field2=round(Field_1, .01);
datalines;
;
Run;
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I'll bite...why are you storing numeric data as character text?  I suspect that's how your data is now, or how it is provided to you.  But IMO if you stored or converted your text data to numeric, then used formats for display, reporting, etc., life would be easier.

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 8 in conversation