BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chris2377
Quartz | Level 8

As a follow-up to Recursively filling rows I have another question. I want to achieve the same (recursively replace missing values), but using panel data. 

In the example below I want to replace missing values in a dataset in a way that value of var for each row with missing value equals to the value of var for previous year for the same id1 and id2 multiplied by two:

data have;
	do year = 2010 to 2015;
		do id1 = 1 to 3;
			do id2 = 1 to 5;
				year = year;
				id1 = id1;
				id2 = id2;
				output;
			end;
		end;
	end;
run;

data have;
	call streaminit(123);
	set have;
	if year = 2010 then var = rand('Normal', 10, 1);
run;

So, in row 16 (year = 2011, id1 = 1, id2 = 1) I want 10.083937704 * 2 = 20.16788, then in row 31 (year = 2012, id1 = 1, id2 = 1) I want 20.16788 * 2 = 40.33575.

I've tried to combine retain and "by" but it's not working:

proc sort data = have;
	by id1 id2 year;
run;

data want;
	set have;
	by id1 id2;
	retain var;
	if first.id1 and first.id2 then var = var;
	else var = var*2;
run;

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

You can't RETAIN a variable that exists in the input data set. It will always be overwritten by the incoming value when the SET statement executes. Try this instead:

data want;
	retain oldvar;
	drop oldvar;
	set have;
	by id1 id2;
	if first.id1 and first.id2 then oldvar=var;
	else if missing(var) then var=oldvar*2;
/* Set OLDVAR up for the next row if the value was calculated */ oldvar=var; run;
Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

You can't RETAIN a variable that exists in the input data set. It will always be overwritten by the incoming value when the SET statement executes. Try this instead:

data want;
	retain oldvar;
	drop oldvar;
	set have;
	by id1 id2;
	if first.id1 and first.id2 then oldvar=var;
	else if missing(var) then var=oldvar*2;
/* Set OLDVAR up for the next row if the value was calculated */ oldvar=var; run;
Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation