BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Burton_Gustice
Calcite | Level 5

All,

I'm currently working with some data that runs through various different codes, each of which may append a new value to some flag field. At the end of it all, we want to set a hierarchy of the flags already applied. At the moment I'm doing so by using a bunch of if find(flag, '*') gt 0 then ... statements, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way. My thought is if I can sort Flag in order of my hierarchy then I can basically just grab the left-most character and use that. I found this post to get me started on how I could sort the Flag field alphabetically, but I'm wondering if there's some way to expand that beyond just alphabetical?

Data and hierarchy logic I have

FlagHierarchy
QVRSR
BEWCC
RTR
QTST

if find(flag, 'R') gt 0 then Hierarchy = 'R';
else if find(flag, 'C') gt 0 then Hierarchy = 'C';
else if find(flag, 'W') gt 0 then Hierarchy = 'W';
else if find(flag, 'T') gt 0 then Hierarchy = 'T';
else ... 

Data and hierarchy logic I want

FlagHierarchy
RQVSR
CEBWC
RTR
TQST

Hierarchy = substr(flag, 1, 1);

Also, in case it matters, I'm using SAS 9.4.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

Store the ordered list of all possible codes in a retained variable _ORDERED_FLAGS.   Then rebuild each flag string by looping through _ORDERED_FLAGS looking for matches in the initial, unordered, value of FLAG:

data have;
  input flag $4. ;
datalines;
QVRS
BEWC
RT
QTS
run;

data want (drop=_: i);
  set have;

retain _ordered_flags 'RTQVSCEBW';

_tmp_flag=flag;
  call missing(flag);

do i=1 by 1 until(length(flag)=length(_tmp_flag));
    if findc(_tmp_flag,char(_ordered_flags,i)) then flag=cats(flag,char(_ordered_flags,i));
  end;
  length hierarchy $1;
  hierarchy=flag;
run;

Make sure all possible flag values are in the retained value for _ORDERED_FLAGS.   I had to guess based on your example.

Also, this code assumes that no individual flag code appears more than once.in each FLAG string.

Also, because HIERARCHY is given a length of 1, the simple assignment   

hierarchy=flag;

will copy only the first letter.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

If you always want the first character of FLAG, you could use:

length hierarchy $ 1;

hierarchy = flag;

There's only room to store one character, so the first character gets stored.

Another possibility:  don't bother to create HIERARCHY.  Just use FLAG as is.  For example:

proc freq data=have;

tables flag;

format flag $1.;

run;

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @Burton_Gustice and welcome to the SAS Support Communities!

@Burton_Gustice wrote:

I'm currently working with some data that runs through various different codes, each of which may append a new value to some flag field.

I think this is where a change would make your task easier: Better append a new observation to some dataset, i.e., work with a "long" ("vertical") data structure, with observations containing one value (see dataset HAVE below).

Then it's much easier to create any desired sort order (using PROC SQL's powerful ORDER BY clause). It's also easy to create the string of concatenated values from there, if needed (see the last DATA step below).

Example:

data have;
input id val $1.;
cards;
1 Q
1 V
1 R
1 S
2 B
2 E
2 W
2 C
3 R
3 T
4 Q
4 T
4 S
;

proc sql;
create table sorted as
select * from have
order by id, find('RTQCEBWVS',val);
quit;

data want(drop=val);
length flag $8 hierarchy $1;
do until(last.id);
  set sorted;
  by id;
  flag=cats(flag,val);
  if first.id then hierarchy=val;
end;
run;

The string in the first argument of the FIND function should reflect the hierarchy of flags (i.e., 'R' has the highest priority, etc.). It's important that all possible "values" are contained in that string. Otherwise, additional code would be needed to deal with "unexpected" values. (It's probably a good idea to add such code anyway to make the program more robust.)

Of course, you can also create the "long" dataset from your existing data if you don't want to change the process upstream.

mkeintz
PROC Star

Store the ordered list of all possible codes in a retained variable _ORDERED_FLAGS.   Then rebuild each flag string by looping through _ORDERED_FLAGS looking for matches in the initial, unordered, value of FLAG:

data have;
  input flag $4. ;
datalines;
QVRS
BEWC
RT
QTS
run;

data want (drop=_: i);
  set have;

retain _ordered_flags 'RTQVSCEBW';

_tmp_flag=flag;
  call missing(flag);

do i=1 by 1 until(length(flag)=length(_tmp_flag));
    if findc(_tmp_flag,char(_ordered_flags,i)) then flag=cats(flag,char(_ordered_flags,i));
  end;
  length hierarchy $1;
  hierarchy=flag;
run;

Make sure all possible flag values are in the retained value for _ORDERED_FLAGS.   I had to guess based on your example.

Also, this code assumes that no individual flag code appears more than once.in each FLAG string.

Also, because HIERARCHY is given a length of 1, the simple assignment   

hierarchy=flag;

will copy only the first letter.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Burton_Gustice
Calcite | Level 5

I think this one makes the most sense to me and works the best/is the easiest to integrate with the way my process is currently set up. Thank you!!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation