BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jordan_howell
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'm trying to read a sas7bdat file into a c environment.  However, no one on my team seems to be able to figure this out.  Is there any user out there that has done this? 

1 REPLY 1
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The sas7bdat file format is not documented...and it varies slightly across releases as the format is enhanced.  Only SAS software can read the content and all of its attributes reliably.

However, you can (on Windows) use the SAS local data provider via OLE DB to read SAS data sets without having full SAS installed.  I have a PowerShell example here -- the same could be invoked within a C program.  You can download the SAS local OLE DB provider from SAS support (link in the blog).

If you have access to a SAS server and want to read SAS data from your SAS environment using other applications, look at the saspy Python library.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation