BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
edasdfasdfasdfa
Quartz | Level 8

options validvarname=any;

LIBNAME xl XLSX '/home/john/B.xlsx';

Hello,

I'm using the above to read in an Excel file with 2 sheets.

I want these two sheets of info to be combined based on an ID  (both have ID columns).

But pretty sure the ID's and maybe even Dates would have to first be sorted? So, first, how can that be done with multiple sheets using libname xlsx?

The reason I ask is because unlike something like proc import where I would have a dataset to sort, here I don't.

10 REPLIES 10
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@edasdfasdfasdfa wrote:

options validvarname=any;

I'm using the above to read in an Excel file with 2 sheets.

I want these two sheets of info to be combined based on an ID  (both have ID columns).

What do you mean by "combined"?

But pretty sure the ID's and maybe even Dates would have to first be sorted? So, first, how can that be done with multiple sheets using libname xlsx?

The reason I ask is because unlike something like proc import where I would have a dataset to sort, here I don't.

LIBNAME does give you data sets to work with. You sort them using PROC SORT and OUT= to create a new sorted data set. Example:

proc sort data=xl.data1 out=data1;
    by id;
run;

--
Paige Miller
edasdfasdfasdfa
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Paige,

Thanks for the quick response.

When you say 'LIBNAME does give you data sets to work with.' ..I do see the two individual Sheets as members.

So would I sort each sheet individually but use the same out= dataset name? does that work?

By combine..I meant that all the observations for a certain ID would be in one row..as opposed to multiple.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
proc sort data=xl.data1 out=data1;
by id;
run;
proc sort data=xl.data2 out=data2;
by id;
run;
data want;
    merge data1 data2;
    by id;
run;
--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Once you have defined a libref with the XLSX engine you can reference each sheet as if it was a dataset.  So if you had sheets named SHEET1 and SHEET2 your could MERGE them by ID with code like this:

data want;
  merge xl.sheet1 xl.sheet2;
  by id;
run;

If the data in the sheets are not sorted by ID then you will need to sort them first and then merge the sorted versions.

proc sort data=xl.sheet1 out=sheet1_sorted;
  by id;
run;
proc sort data=xl.sheet2 out=sheet2_sorted;
  by id;
run;
data want ;
  merge sheet1_sorted sheet2_sorted;
  by id;
run;
edasdfasdfasdfa
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks to both of you. This makes sense.

Two final questions.

What would be the point of sorting BY multiple variables? (multiple variables in BY statement)

And second, what happens if you try to sort on a variable that is already sorted?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@edasdfasdfasdfa wrote:

Two final questions.

What would be the point of sorting BY multiple variables? (multiple variables in BY statement)

It sorts by multiple variables.

And second, what happens if you try to sort on a variable that is already sorted?

Nothing.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You sort by multiple BY variables to establish the order that you want repeating values of the earlier variables to appear.  For example you might sort by subject id and visit date.

proc sort data=measurements;
  by id date;
run;

So now the subjects are ordered and the multiple observations for the same subject are ordered chronologically.

edasdfasdfasdfa
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, Tom.

I like the output the way I have it now...where ID is in order so I can easily see debit/credit over the course of different days..

but is there some kind of merging/joining/combining..that would enable you to only have one row for each ID regardless of how many different transactions on different days there were? or would you handle that just by using some filtering?

RichardDeVen
Barite | Level 11

You can't read more than one sheet at a time, so stacking the sheets with SET xl.sheet1 xl.sheet2;

will cause an ERROR:.

Copy each sheet to WORK, and stack them as desired.

Example:

proc sort data=sashelp.class out=class;
  by sex name;
run;

ods excel file='class.xlsx' options(sheet_name='#byval1');

options nobyline;
ods noresults;

proc print noobs data=class;
  by sex;
run;

ods excel close;

libname xl excel 'class.xlsx';

* File in user ERROR: ;

data want;
  set 
    indsname = sheetname
    xl.'F$'n
    xl.'M$'n
  ;

by name;

sex = sheetname;
run;

data one; set xl.'F$'n; sex='F';
data two; set xl.'M$'n; sex='M';

data want;
  set one two indsname=sheetname;
  by name;
run;

libname xl;
edasdfasdfasdfa
Quartz | Level 8

I don't get such an error, Richard.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation