BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sha88
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello 

I'm having some trouble reading in a file into SAS,  it is an ASCII carrot ^ delimited file.   The first variable contains a record type and then other data follows,   Until you get to A records where there is a second record type followed by data.   I need to read in multiple rows for each record type and concatenate them into a single variable within an observation, can this be done?   E.g. below,   I have already gotten the P, V and R lines into one observation using 'retain' and select while,  just don't know how to concat the A^A and A^B into one before inserting into one variable.  

Source File e.g.: 

P^JOHN^SMITH^26^1000101
V^VISIT 1^01DEC2019
R^RED BLOOD CELLS^10^u/ml 
A^A^COMMENTS ABOUT THIS 
A^A^TEST THAT APPEAR ON
A^A^DIFFERENT LINES
A^B^MORE COMMENTS ON A 
A^B^DIFFERENT LINE THAT 
A^B^BELONG IN A DIFFERENT
A^B^COLUMN 
R^WHITE BLOOD CELLS^22^u/ml 
A^A^COMMENTS ABOUT THIS 
A^A^TEST THAT APPEAR ON
A^A^DIFFERENT LINES
A^B^MORE COMMENTS ON A 
A^B^DIFFERENT LINE THAT 
A^B^BELONG IN A DIFFERENT
A^B^COLUMN

In SAS: 

JOHN|SMITH|26|1000101|VISIT 1|01DEC2019|RED BLOOD CELLS|10|u/ml|COMMENTS ABOUT THIS TEST THAT APPEAR ON DIFFERENT LINES|MORE COMMENTS ON A DIFFERENT LINE THAT BELONG IN A DIFFERENT COLUMN|

JOHN|SMITH|26|1000101|VISIT 1|01DEC2019|WHITE BLOOD CELLS|22|u/ml|COMMENTS ABOUT THIS TEST THAT APPEAR ON DIFFERENT LINES|MORE COMMENTS ON A DIFFERENT LINE THAT BELONG IN A DIFFERENT COLUMN|

Ideally looking to loop, during my input statement to concatenate all A^A then A^B and insert these into their own columns on the same row.  There can be any number of A_A or A_B records or there can be none. 

Thanks 🙂 

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Use the same method (retain and while) and add something like this:

if _INFILE_=:'A^A^' then AA=catx(' ',AA,substr(_INFILE_,5)); 
if _INFILE_=:'A^B^' then AB=catx(' ',AB,substr(_INFILE_,5));

Post your code if you need more help.

Sha88
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi my code below.   There are a few other fields in the A record.    The code below still outputs the comments into multiple observations. 

input @1 RECTYP $ @; 

SELECT

/*Read in Alpha Result Records*/
when(RECTYP='A') do;
input
ATXTTYP: $1. ATEXT: $1000. AALPCD: $15. AOTC: $5. ARTC: $5. ARMKCD: $10.
;
if ATXTTYP='A' then ATEXT_ST=catx(' ',ATEXT);
if ATXTTYP='B' then ATEXT_ST_B=catx(' ',ATEXT);
end;
/*Final Step - Otherwise */

otherwise do;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation