BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
A_SAS_Man
Pyrite | Level 9

I am attempting to read a JSON.gz file into SAS. I first tried using the JSON libname engine but I believe since the file is zipped it is having trouble, so I am now attempting to access the zip file first using the ZIP functionality in SAS, but am unsure if I can then use use the JSON engine after that.

I have a file stored on disk and I start with the following.

filename inzip ZIP '/data/file.json.gz';

This seems to run successfully, but I am unable to reference the filename inzip using the json libname engine, I have tried several ways but in general I'm trying to reference the filename within the libname statement like below which I realize is wrong. Is there a way to do this better or a correction to what I'm attempting? Any help is appreciated.

libname myfiles json '/data/inzip';

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can just use the same name for the FILEREF and the LIBREF.  At least that works for normal files.  But test it as many other SAS tools (like PROC IMPORT) do not work right when the fileref is using a complex engine like ZIP.

Also to read a GZIP file you need to add the GZIP keyword. Otherwise the ZIP engine is expecting an actual ZIP file and not a GZIP file.

filename myfiles ZIP '/data/file.json.gz' GZIP;
libname myfiles json ;

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can just use the same name for the FILEREF and the LIBREF.  At least that works for normal files.  But test it as many other SAS tools (like PROC IMPORT) do not work right when the fileref is using a complex engine like ZIP.

Also to read a GZIP file you need to add the GZIP keyword. Otherwise the ZIP engine is expecting an actual ZIP file and not a GZIP file.

filename myfiles ZIP '/data/file.json.gz' GZIP;
libname myfiles json ;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation