BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cmoore
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi,
I have received an output of data from a survey that was recently sent out. Please see a data example below;

enter image description here

I basically want to reorder the Data by rank order in columns depending what number is in each cell. Any ideas of the best way to do this?

Thanks

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yep:

1) Normalise the have dataset to 

Respondant_ID Question  Response

2) Process the normalised dataset to set the new variable names, i.e. if response=1 then qname="Rank 1"

3) Transpose the data back up again based on the processed new variable name.

Post test data in the form of a datastep for working code.

ballardw
Super User

@cmoore wrote:
Hi,
I have received an output of data from a survey that was recently sent out. Please see a data example below;

enter image description here

I basically want to reorder the Data by rank order in columns depending what number is in each cell. Any ideas of the best way to do this?

Thanks

Chris

Have you examined your data so that you can verify that there are never more than 5 "notranked" for any respondent? That none of the respondents ranked any items with the same rank? [ I know that may not have been intended but some surveys / survey software end up allowing such depending on how carefully the data collection staff was trained or the survey script programmed.]

Are there any actually missing values that need to treated differently than "not ranked"?

The values you show imply that the variables would have to be character but there is a chance they are actually numeric and "not ranked" is missing and that text applied with a custom format. Is that the case?

If everything has exactly 5 ranked, with full ranks of 1 to 5, and 5 not ranked, and the variables are in the order as shown and adjacent this might get you started:

Untested as NO data set provided and I'm not going to make one.

data want;
   set have;
   array s Capability -- Reputation;
   array r{10} $15 Rank1-Rank5 NotRanked1-NotRanked5;
   notcount=0;
   do = 1 to dim(s);
      j= input(s[i],f1.);
      if j>0 then r[j]= vname(s[i]);
      else do;
         notcount=notcount+1;
         r[5+notcount] = vname(s[i]);
      end;
   end;
   keep Respondent_id Rank1-Rank5 NotRanked1-NotRanked5;
run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation