BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Doug____
Pyrite | Level 9

I two datasets, one I will call "Main" which contains the data to be updated and the transaction dataset. The update method is not the usual way in that the transaction dataset can update the main record multiple times. This is because the value of the updated variable can change over time but must be linked back to the original value. Example follows below:

Main

value

Transaction

Value1 Value2

24             32 <- first change to this value

32             44<<-this is the correct final value as transactions happen at two time points. Each line in the transaction set is unique.

Basically I need to hold the pointer in MAIN at record 1 while I read all the records in TRANSACTION, applying the updates as I go for as many times as needed.

How can I use the POINT = option to achieve this result?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

A suggested approach:

Create a temporary array with 999999999 elements (one for every conceivable SSN).  Use the Transaction data set to load into the array all the changes.

If SSN 123456789 should map to 234567890, then the 123456789th element should have a value of 234567890. 

The programming should be relatively simple, provided that you actually have the memory available to create the array.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RichardDeVen
Barite | Level 11
Have you written any code ?
Are you also using MODIFY ?
Does your Main have a unique index ? If so, have you tried MODIFY / INDEX= ?
Doug____
Pyrite | Level 9

The only unique value is SSN. The value to be updated can change multiple times  but this method allows me to get to the last value. The system is based on heterogenous joins which is one update per single record in the master dataset it not correct. It is a many to many operation whereby the updated value has value x today, value y tomorrow and z the day after. But the system does not provide information for the path from X straight to Z is only has information for X - Y then Y - Z. Difficult to explain but that's how the system is designed.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I don't think you have provided enough information to understand what you are doing.

The UPDATE statement used in a DATA step (not the SQL update statement) can apply multiple transactions to the same master record.  Do you have a transaction dataset in the sense of the UPDATE statement?

Or are you asking how to change the KEY variable(s) values?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Do you only have values, and no keys?

A multiple transaction is handled well by data step update, see here:

input id $ value;
datalines;
A 1
B 2
;

data trans;
input id $ value;
datalines;
A 3
A 4
B 5
;

data main;
update
  main
  trans
;
by id;
run;

The last value for A will end up in the main dataset.

Doug____
Pyrite | Level 9

If there were only one observation per SSN in the master dataset this would work. But there are many so warnings are generated. Not sure the update method will accomplish this which takes us back to my original question. Reading in each record from the master sequentially then applying the updates using the POINT option in some fashion.

Doug____
Pyrite | Level 9

This is where sequential access comes into play - by using the observation number in the main table - the code should sit on that observation while is rolls through the transaction dataset applying the changes as it goes. Once it applies all the changes - move to the next record and repeat and so forth until it encounters the end of the main dataset. POINT would indicate the observation number in main.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This is too complicated to describe in words. Please post examples for the main and transaction datasets (in data steps with datalines like I did), and the expected result from both.

Astounding
PROC Star

A suggested approach:

Create a temporary array with 999999999 elements (one for every conceivable SSN).  Use the Transaction data set to load into the array all the changes.

If SSN 123456789 should map to 234567890, then the 123456789th element should have a value of 234567890. 

The programming should be relatively simple, provided that you actually have the memory available to create the array.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation