BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RobertWF1
Quartz | Level 8

The data management people in my company (who are not SAS users) have sent me information to connect to one of our Redshift servers:

User ID: user
Password: pwd
Database Server: svr123
Database Port: 1234
Database: db123
Schema: data_schema_123

My libname statement is as follows:
libname newlib redshift 
user="user" 
password="pwd" 
READBUFF=10000 SUB_CHAR=QUESTIONMARK 
schema="data_schema_123"
database="db123"
server="svr123"
port=1234;
I'm seeing the following error message after executing:
 ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [DataDirect][ODBC lib] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
 ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.
Is there anything obviously wrong with my syntax or is this more of an IT issue?

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Has your SAS installation ever been successfully used with Redshift before or is this the first time such a database connection has been tried? Does your SAS run on a PC or a server? If it is on a PC, for example, then you should check to see if you have a Redshift ODBC driver installed via the Windows ODBC Administrator tool. 

RobertWF1
Quartz | Level 8

My company is running SAS Studio in a web browser on a remote desktop.

Not sure about the Redshift ODBC driver - I'll check or ask the IT folks. 

I've never had trouble connecting before with SAS, but this is the first time I've accessed data via AWS Redshift.

Thanks for your help!

RobertWF1
Quartz | Level 8
Update:
I do see Amazon Redshift ODBC Driver folders (32 and 64-bit) in Windows>Start Menu>Programs.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

SAS Studio typically uses a remote SAS server. You can find out what that is by running this:

%put &=SYSHOSTNAME;

To access Redshift the 64-bit Redshift ODBC driver would need to be installed on the remote SAS server. Typically this is a job for your SAS administrator. If you have one I suggest you check with them. I suspect your LIBNAME is missing a DSN setting which identifies both the ODBC driver being used and the Redshift server to connect to.

EDIT: Try this  DSN = "svr123" 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

@SASKiwi

Why would one use SAS/ACCESS Interface to Amazon Redshift if it relies on ODBC? Why not use SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC?

Amazon provides  ODBC drivers for linux and Windows.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation